1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cost

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Nate Thompson, Oct 30, 2007.

1. I am looking into tanning my own stuff and was wondering what the cost effectiveness will be. If I'm only going to save a few dollars that it won't be worth it. I think I pay $35 for a deer and $100 for an elk

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Per unit cost is very low. Time is the important factor & you really have to have a fleshing machine.

3. Many guys do their own deer and do just fine saving money, controling their own product, cutting turnaround time, etc., but I would send the elk out. It is a job that will be better handled in a commercial operation.

4. John W.

John W. New Member

I usually have a turn around of two to three months on deer and smaller critters by doing my own tanning,but like Bill said you have to have a fleshing machine to really do a good job fast and reliably in-shop. ;D

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

the more control i am able to have the better i like it but some things (bears, )i.e.) are out of the realm of my expertise

6. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

With my pressure tanner it costs me about $2.00 to tan a deer cape. But about $1500 for equipment. But I like the fact that I can pull a cape out of the freezer one day and 2 days later it's mounted. No salting sending it out and waiting for the tannery. And yes I do elk and bear and boar in house.