1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artificial Mud

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by jcullum, Oct 31, 2007.

1. jcullum

jcullum New Member

Im working on a blue crab in some bay grasses. Other than buying it or trying to mix dirt in to your water mixture, how else could I build wet mud?

2. Dirt mixed with polyester resin works great. even take some cracked shells and other beach Debris and mix it all together. It looks slick and is rock hard.

3. mjroberts

mjroberts gator season will be here soon

here is a guy that makes a good mud

Thanks for the intrest in M.U.D. I have had great success in using it. It is 35.00 per gallon + shipping If you are intrested please let me know where you live and I can figure out shipping for you. I am in the process of comming up with a web site, but for now I can be reached at 419-938-6786 for ordering or assistance.
    thanks
    Brian

4. jward

jward First with a bow

I heard of mixing elmers glue with a little water and pouring over dirt. I have never tried it though. Let me know what you come up with.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Buy you a bag of Peat Moss from WalMart along with a quart of Elmer's White Glue. In a bowl, pour the glue and mix it with about 4 ounces of water. Stir to blend in. Begin adding peat moss until you have a dough like mixture that will not ooze through your fingers. Place this "dough" on the back board you intend to use and spread it out to make a large "pie". Mist the top of it with water and pat the "mud" until the glue comes to the top. Allow to dry. Now you will have a very light but wet looking "mud" to mount your crab on. When I mount crabs, I cut the belly shell open and remove the insides, I take a wire and bend it big enough that it will just fit inside the shell allowing a "stem" to come out in the center of the opening. I pour the body full of Bondo and now I have a crab on a stick like a lollipop. I paint it this way as the stick keeps the crab off surfaces that could screw with your pattern. Drill a single hole down through your mud, slip the "stick" into it and pull your crab down snug, Staple the wire on the back side and you're done.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

I mix real dirt with elmers all the time, works well. I am going to try your mix George with the peat moss, and see what it looks like.

7. nate

nate Active Member

i like mixing potters dirt with envior-tex. just make sure the dirt is completly dry first or you'll get mold.

duxrus likes this.
  8. I also use elmers glue and peat moss, works great!!!

9. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Ive tried Elmer's with peat and dirt. Ive also used Brians MUD. Dry dirt and resin works too. Play around and try different things. Youget a little bit different results from each. Experiment and report back.

10. jcullum

jcullum New Member

Thats guys I appreciate the help. I ended up mixing regular dirt with my WASCO resin and it turned out great!
    Thanks again

duxrus likes this.
  11. Jake Lundgren

Jake Lundgren New Member

do you have pic of the mud

Texan7174 likes this.
  12. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Keep in mind, this post was over 7 years ago. I do not believe he is still selling it.

Chippers likes this.
  13. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

nor has he been on this forum since 2014