1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What ya say? Good enough for Competition?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Tailchaser, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Tailchaser

Tailchaser New Member

I have never entered any of my work in competitions. I just finished this display and it is as good a work as I am capable of doing. Do you think it would stand up against the "Big Boys" at a State Level Competition? As you can see it is designed so that each mount can be rotated so that different angles or scenes can be created.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I think you should enter it. Its nice.

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Very clean and crisp work.. I like it alot. I think it would place well... Got any close up pics?

4. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Very cool idea. I love the way it's set up. I say enter it! =]

5. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Very well presented. Obviously all the fine details will need to be present also.

6. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

It's sweet. Need closeups. I would enter it. You'll probably place with it. It will benefit you from what the judges say.

7. Tailchaser

Tailchaser New Member

I'll try and get a few close-ups and post them.

8. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I'm curious. Is the doe hanging on the black background, and is the fawn a full body or half body mount?

9. Fred Barilla

Fred Barilla Member

Looks nice Tailchaser. You have nothing to lose and much info to gain by entering that piece in competition. It's the fastest way to learn in my opinion.

I'd have used a red phase / summer doe for that display.

Fred Barilla

10. Tailchaser

Tailchaser New Member

The doe is attached by a rod that enters on the right side of the brisket. The rod is hidden by the vegetation and attaches to the back of the octagon base. The fawn is a 1/2 body mount from McKinzie.

Fred I agree, a summer doe would have matched the scene better, but I did not have access to one.

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

It will be well viewed and appreciated, but a spring or summer setting and a winter doe just will not fly, at least not all the way to the top of the pack. What color are the fawns eyes, and is it just the pic or is the does brisket centerline, and armpit flares off a bit? Regardless, its a very pleasing mount to view. It WILL win in your showroom, and the customer is the best judge there!

12. Tailchaser

Tailchaser New Member

Bill, The doe form is from Dan Chase "Sassy" series and makes a severe twist right at shoulders which may make the centerline look off. The eyes are Mckinzies fawn eyes (light brown).

13. you have nothing to lose if entered into a competition ,i would not enter lower than professional though as you get judged harder than you would in amatuer. i agree with bill as the brisket looks a little flared and the does eyes maybe a little wide.

14. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Remove the doe from the display and enter them seperate. JMO

15. Skife

Skife Member

While the photo appears to show great work, no one on here can tell you what to do. Competition mounts are a whole different ball game. Most judges I have dealt with don't take much time standing back to look at the animal. They are up close, with their flashlight looking at the miniscual details which do not show up in a photo. Hair patterns, eyesets, nasal detail, ear butts, inner ear, tearducts, etc are not viewable from this photo. That is were a great looking mount goes to an Honorable mention 66, the devil is in the details.

Great looking mount by the way.

16. looks great

17. Its not about standing up against the big boys.

It's about you learning to improve your work!!! Thats right its about you and noone and nothing else, you go to learn and take your best work and see where you made mistakes and then going back home and improving , learning to read reference pics and you doing better!! To hell with everyone else.

18. Ivano

Ivano New Member

Nice work, but if you are telling me that this is the best work that you are capable of then hang up your belt and walk away from taxidermy forever. There is always room for improvement always.

19. catman

catman Active Member

20. klattin3

klattin3 Member

Great looking scene.That form looks better in the book, I was going to try it but now i dont know---maybe if there was a sapling by the inside shoulder and the ears were forward???? We'll see. great scenery!