1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3rd Deer Mount - Critique Please

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by RATTRAP, Sep 4, 2006.

1. RATTRAP

RATTRAP Don't laugh, deer think my head is an acorn!

Here's a couple pics of my 3rd mount. All thoughts & input welcomed.

2. RATTRAP

Here's another Pic

3. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

That looks nice, hard to believe it is only your third mount.

4. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

YEa that looks good. One question though, howd you get that nice black background for yur picture? I would like to have that for this pictures I take of my mounts, I think that makes it look nice, Kevin

5. RATTRAP

I bought a cheap piece of black fabric from JoAnn Fabrics and hung on wall.

6. Don Z

Don Z Taxidermist,bowhunter, trapper,family man.

Ohio
    I'm impressed. Great mount!

7. Ben

Ben Guest

I agree with everyone great mount---nice detailing

8. Hogger

Hogger Guest

To criticize it would be nitpicking. It looks real nice.

9. Let me congratulate you on a super job for your 3rd deer head mount. I only wish that my 3rd mount looked as good as yours.

Now, I am not trying to nit pik you're work but I believe that it will benefit you in the long run when I tell you that there are a few points that I believe that should be brought to your attention. All you need is a little knowledge and application technique.

Let's start at the top of your deer head and look at the ears. I really don't see to much definition in the muscles of the ear butts. The lower muscle appears almost non-existant. Also, when you look at your ear reference you should notice some light pink inside that ear. You're ear appears to be what I call to white.

Ok, now let's take a real good look at you're eyes. Now when I look at my photo reference and compare it with yours I see some differences. The contour of your eye could be sculpted a little better. Especially where the carnucula shape enters into the eye. Also, you might want to put a crease on top of that upper brow or lid. Now it appears to me that you have used wax to do the finish work on your deer. This is not the proper way to do things these days. If you use apoxies you will get a much smoother finish job. OK, looking at your eye reference photo the color appears to be what I will call to dark or black or inappropriate. Now, let's go to the tear duct area. It appears to me that it's not properly shaped and the color could be better. All you have to do is look at that photo reference.

Now, let's take a close look at the nose or muzzle area. WOW, it doesn't look nothing like what I see in deer nose photo's. I believe that it's to dark in color "black". Also, when I look closely at your nodules they appear to be to small and much to round. The nodules are shaped liked flat pancakes and they are not that thick. Get yourself a nose applicator at Wal-Mart for $2.97 and just practice making nodules. Oh, it's not easy.

Well, these are just a few things that I believe that when you look closely at your references you will see and just spend just more time on these details. Over all like I stated this is really a Good job for just your 3rd mount. But, to get to the point of what I call high quality commercial work it only takes a little knowledge and a lot of application or just plain old "Practice". Good Luck in the future on your next deer head. Oh, don't forget that we all can improve our work; me included.

John Griffith
    www.griffithtaxidermy.com

10. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Nice critique John. Rattrat, I hope you can use the info John posted to improve your work. You are doing great to only be on your 3rd mount, but it takes alot of practice and hard work to improve your quality. So, put your nose to the grindstone and git 'er done!

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Thanks John for pointing those areas out, I appears to me that the eyes are not entirely split all the way to the eye lash roots by the ring that protrudes around the glass. Many beginners do not split the eyes all of the way, and split the lids the same way they do the lips. The proper way to split the eyes almost has to be watched by beginners to see it how it is done. It is seldom taught or shown in videos.
    The mount looks good for a third. However Rattrap, the danger of family and friends telling you that your work looks good, is that they are just being nice, they are untrained in what looks nice, and what looks right. Thanks to John for being honest in what he observed from the photos. You will get better as long as you listen to those that tell you what is wrong, you will never improve when people tell you that it looks nice.

12. jessicaj

jessicaj New Member

I'm with John on this one to, the shape of the top eye lid is off, it needs to slope down more towards the back (I hope that made sense) Just look at a pic. of a live deers eye and you will see it. The nose is also to black, as for the shape I'm not sure, I think it looks good but I to have been told my noses arn't quite right. The ears looked good but could use a little more muscle detail. Excellent for a 3rd mount though!

13. RATTRAP

Thanks to everyone for the comments. The pictures that I provided do not show the detail of the mount as well as they could. # 4 & #5 will be mounted soon.

thanks again

14. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Here, this may help. One is a photo of your deer's eye the other is a nice reference shot. Closely study the photos and determine just what Big John is talking about. Reference is the key. Good Luck.

15. Andy M

Andy M New Member

Nice job! Wish my third deer looked that good. As you will hear at ever competition you go to, or to who ever you talk to REFERENCE is the key. "Check your reference" has been written on ever one of my score sheets. Collect as much as you can. I know I'm still looking for those perfect pictures that will help me get things right!

Keep up the good work!!

Andy

16. Alex Sr

Alex Sr New Member

Go By What Big John critique and also look at corner of you mouth mount, it doesn't flow natural. otherwise it is a good attempt.
    Keep them coming you have talent.