1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best heating option for small shop

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Amy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good heating option for a small shop? It's starting to get cold here, and I don't think my current heater is going to be enough for this winter in my new shop! I have a "oil-less radiator heater" which is a silent electric flat heater. It is meant to sit in the middle of a room and it actually does put out a good bit of heat if you stand right over top of it, but it's not working well to heat the overall air temperature. My shop is 12 x 28', and well insulated. I do not run the heater during the night because I don't feel safe about leaving it.. My husband has been plugging the heater in when he leaves for work at 6 am. Three hours later it has heated the shop 8 degrees. Considering the shop was 48 degrees when he left, that means it is now 56 in my shop at 9am and that's no where near comfortable working temperature! It would take another several hours for it to get in the mid 60's. God knows how much electricity that thing is drawing too, going full blast for 6-8 hours a day!

So any suggestions ?? I'm looking for something that can heat the air fairly quickly and efficiently. Preferably something that will run off a standard household receptacle (I'm not wired for 220)

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

My shop is 24x24 but with two stories. I installed a heat pump ceiling unit from Sanyo that is just superb. It runs about $2400 new but it heats and cools exceptionally well. HOWEVER, I tried to find the motel units that work the same way. When I did, I found them about half the price but was unwilling to cut the hole in the wall to accommodate them. And before that, I had a window unit for cooling and I bought a propane wall heater with a thermostat on it. That kept the shop toasty on the coldest days and protected my glues and paints overnight. They run about $150 before installation which I did myself.

3. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

I got a couple nice electric ones with the heating element and fan that heat up nicely, just don't buy a plastic cased electric heater, i had one melt on me last year. can't believe it didn't catch fire. I also got one of these in the loft, works great. http://www.masterdist.net/glowarm/blueflameheaters/index.html

4. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Those little propane wall heaters put out alot of heat and arent very expensive to purchase.

5. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Sounds like I should look into the propane heaters. Might be cheaper to burn gas than electricity. My biggest thing is the time it takes to heat up. Can these take a small shop from temps in the 40's, to 65-70 in a reasonable amount of time? Or would it be a more efficient idea to leave it on at a low temp at night, so it doesn't have to warm it up so drastically? I just worry about leaving something on overnight.

6. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

Mine is natural gas, vent free, has 5 settings 1 thru 5, set at night to 1 maintains about 50 degrees, raise it to 3 in the morning and with in the hour have to turn it down to about 2 1/2. i have ceiling fans for air circ, but you can also buy a small blower that mounts to these heaters. i bought 2 of the blowers and installed one in a friends unit, really didn't do much so i never installed mine. you could get by with the 300 sq ft unit cause i got 900 sq ft and bought the 700 sq ft unit and it is more than enough.

7. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

They make different sizes Amy. Buy one big enough to heat it. The one I had had a fan on it and a thermostat. I think you have to have 3' of space on each side and nothing above it. Really will heat a good sized area, I had a 100 lbs cylinder and had to fill it quite a bit. Cant remember but it does seem that it liked the gas. I now have two window units that I bought at sears and they are heat and air. They cool well but dont heat very well. They will keep it ok but you have to run them 24 hours a day on high heat when its cold and that cost a fortune.

8. Amy, have you thought of maybe putting in a nice little wood stove? You can get a descent one for about 600.00 mincluding the stove piepe, and either get a wood burner or a pellet stove

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I worry about anything with a flame, esp around things like bondo.
    This won't help you unless they make a 110 version, but I bought an ac/heater combo window unit.
    I am also afraid to leave things plugged in or on. If it's not necessary, I unplug or turn off when I lock up.

10. toyo stove for heating would be great for that size shop

11. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Propane salamanders will do the trick . You can get the small ones for $130.00 and they will heat a small area like that in about 20 minutes , best part is they can hook up to your grill bottle .

12. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

They are not for enclosed areas. they put off an extreme amount of fumes.

13. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

corn burner

14. trophy time

trophy time " Preserving a lifetime of memories since 1990 "

I have electric base board heaters in my shop. 14x28. (2) 6' and (1) 4'. You are going to pay more in electric with the plug in style heaters.

15. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

Short answer,,,,, South Florida!

16. EX-NTA

EX-NTA New Member

Amy,

My shop is almost identical to yours. It's a 12' X 24' garage with a concrete floor. The walls are well insulated but the garage door and ceiling are not. I installed an in-wall electric heater with a thermostat. It runs off of 220 so it will have to be wired directly to your electrical box. My total investment, including thermostat, heater and wiring was around $200. It looks very nice as the only thing you can see is a 12" X 18" vent in the wall, and can be turned up to 90 degrees or turned totally off. I'm in Idaho, so we can get some pretty cold weather. It can heat my shop from freezing to 70 degrees in about half an hour, and I'm sure that it would work better, if I'd take the time to insulate it. When I'm working in the garage, I can open the door from the shop to the other two bays and it heats the entire area in about an hour. It's a bit of a pain to install it, but it's fairly simple and it won't take up any extra room.

Just a suggestion, I hope it helps.

Wade

17. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I got the same as Becky, a window AC/heating combo unit. Just bought it last month, so I haven't got to try out the heater part yet. But it seems to suck ALOT more kilowatts than the smaller AC window unit I had before it. So I only keep it on when I know I'll be in the shop. Being in Texas helps also. ;)

18. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Bobby, LOL, I haven't tried out the heater yet either, but it's (the ac) is actually smaller than the one I had in before - so I should be doing better on the electricity. I know someone that has one like that and it puts out a good deal of heat. Only time will tell about the bill, but I'm all electric anyway (house and shop) so it'll be high.

19. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

I just installed a new Rinnai propane heater about a month ago. Its direct vent with a blower and keeps the shop toasty set on low and the temps are already in the low teens here. I bet you would only have to fill your tank once a year or less. These are very efficient and safe, and are thermostatically controlled.

20. edd263

edd263 New Member

Amy - I use three propane heaters, an 85,000 btu glass front space heater in my main show room that vents through the ceiling and a 35,000 btu wall hanging space heater that vents right out through the exterior wall on my larger secondary showroom and a 15,000 btu wall hanging space heater for my smaller showroom that also vents right through the exterior wall. I only use them when the room is in use to keep the heating costs bearable. If you have an exterior wall that a 35,000 btu wall hanger can be mounted on that would be about right for your size shop as they come with an internal thermostat that can be set for about seven settings and they continue to operate during power outages.To determine fuel costs a gallon of propane equals approximately 100,000btu of heat output so a 35,000btu will operate for almost three hours on the highest setting on one gallon of propane. I am located in the southern adirondacks and propane sells for about $3.75 per gallon so not a cheap way to heat but I feel better than wood or electric and possibly oil. Good Luck. Ed Dandaraw