1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I Got a Visit from DNR............

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by pyeager1, Nov 7, 2007.

1. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

it was a scheduled visit to inspect my quail pens for my Commercial Quail Breeders License. They were approved with NO problem. We then went into the shop to do paperwork, thats when he realized I was a taxidermist! He wasn't to concerned about anything in the shop, just looked around like any other person would have done. He like the rattlesnakes I had mounted and told a story about one he let get away this year. He offered to bring any ones he came across if I wanted them! Things got real comfortable when I told him he was married to my second cousin. We talked family for a while and he even invited us to come see them for dinner sometimes. He didn't bother to look in the two freezers in the shop. He told me anytime I needed bobcat tags give him a call and handed me his card with cell phone number on the back and he would drop them by. He looked at my deerheads drying and said he would definitely keep me in mind if he got the "good one". We proceded to his truck where I ask a few "grey" area questions about contradicting laws and such. I really believe having the game warden in the family is going to be a good thing for my taxidermy business. As long as I keep my nose clean and tags on bobcats I believe things will be alright. Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to share the good experience I had with our DNR officer in my county.

2. When I first read your post, I read it as YOU were married to your second cousin! Hahaha! Can you tell I'm tired? Good to hear you had a nice experience with the DNR :)

3. mike g

mike g Active Member

Sorry to hear you are related to one, just kidding! Not DNR guys are jerks, some will go the extra mile to help you out.

4. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Hey, he is from Alabama, he may well be married to his second cousin. Perfectly legal here...as long as she is over 12 years old.

Anyway, I can't pay the DNR to come to my shop. Just as soon keep it that way I guess. The only time they have ever come here in an "official" way was when they started getting real stricked about keeping wildlife a few years ago and tried to get me to get a permit to raise my bobcats. I had already gotten rid of all of them though. They never asked anything about coyotes though...hmmmm, I guess they should have been more specific!