1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Down Feathers

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by skeeter, Sep 4, 2006.

1. skeeter

skeeter New Member

I need some help with down feathers on ducks back. Having done only three ducks I have not mastered this art. The feathers just want to stick up. I was not able to find anything in the archives, since they are not accessible at the present time. Thanks

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Make sure when fleshing you are getting all meat and fat leaving nothing but skin and bare quills. The back skin is pretty thin so many people are afraid to flesh too much, but you have to get it all or when it dries the feathers can move on ya. Just go SLOW until you get the feel of it. Good luck!!!

3. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Skeeter,

Are the down feathers showing through after you have the bird mounted? There are several possible reasons. Firstly, being you're not getting your feathers clean in your wash. Secondly, the mannikin may be too large causing the skin to be stretched too tightly allowing the down to show throw. Thirdly, the skin may be taxi'd wrong allowing the down to peek through.

When your bird skin (feathers) are dry before mounting, you should have a very appealling looking pelt. No down should be showing at this point.. If not.. keep drying. A mistake many beginners make is not getting the down dry to begin with. Another beginner mistake is to not spend the time necessary to groom the bird... I think a litter attention to detail in both the areas will put you closer to where you want to be..

Good Luck,
    Jon

4. If the bird had pin feathers and some of them came out, the under feathers (down) will be exposed. I bring all these matters to my customers attention when the birds are dropped off, or after they thaw out if they are brought in froze. It will keep your customers happy and stop a lot of grief later.

Rich ;)

5. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Thanks for all the tips. I'll be doing another bird in a couple of weeks.

6. Bird Turd

Bird Turd Guest

You may not be rinsing all the soap out!!!!

Jon Harle covered all the other problems.

Rinse the bird until the water is clean and clear, usually three or four times for me.

I use a five gallon bucket, holding the skin in the bottom and tipping the bucket to get the soap off the top. On the finall rinse I hold the bird in the bottom and pour the water out of the bucket.

Next be sure the down is dry and fluffy, this holds the feather up.

7. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    i had this problem when i first started until i started rinsing the bird over and over like was stated you NEED to get all the soap out, then i tumble and after i mount the duck but before i start all the grooming i use a hair dryer set on cool to really dry the feathers really good and to fluff everything up never had a problem since then

8. Muthagoose

Muthagoose You do your thing, I'll do mine.....

IF its soap use a spray nozzle with a fan/fine spray may seem aggresive but if done at a angle from head to tail and with moderatly light preasure it works excellent.. I hit them again in the wash machine as they are spinning found out early soap residue is just as much a culprit to down and fine back feathers as can be the oil it removed..