1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is the best size scalpel blade to use while skinning/fleshing a deer head

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Nov 9, 2007.

1. orion

orion Marty Silva

I keep 5 sharp victorinox knives at my capeing table. With a paper wheel ssharpening system anybody can get them razor sharp in seconds. Ususally 2 passes on each side does the trick. Ialso keep a screw driver there for around the antler burrs and use a 22 scapel for the turning.

Marty

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I guess it's the mechanic in me that cringes when I hear guys using screwdrivers to pull the hide from under the burr. If you do that, you risk poking a hole in your arm. I use a 1/4 inch cabinet wood chisel (important to tie all those words together when ordering one). I keep it razor sharp. A cabinet chisel has a much longer wooden handle and a long spine on the blade. It allows you easier leverage and you can peel a hide out so easily it's almost funny. A regular chisel will work but it's only slightly better than your screwdriver I fear.

3. orion

orion Marty Silva

There is not much chance of poking a hole in my arm as I don't use that much force and ususally only pop the hide off in quarter inch increments. But I do like the idea of the chisel and may try it. Thanks George.

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I use a screw driver and a hammer and LIGHTLY tap it. No part of me is in the way, even if it were to slip, it would hit the table.

5. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I use 22s, for main body, 10s for smaller areas, and a victornox nearly perfect" knife for the antler burs. I just pull the hide with one hand and use the knife in the other to loosen the hide from the burs, specially if they are real knobby and dont want to pull off easily. I never could get the hang of the screw driver, seems so fat and wide to me, I like how slim the knife is for slipping under the skin and staying close to the bone.

6. I also use a wood chisel George. I use to use the screwdriver and hammer. That is until I chipped a burr. Never again. I will always use the chisel. Try it guys it really is a piece of cake. Frank.

7. will

will what a good look'n son of a gun

PA.
    I've used# 22's for many years until somebody suggested # 10's..i found them easier to get around the antler burr's and in tight places especially when the antlers grow back . also i have had less blades snap in half..( I'm sure we all ducked a few of those flying surgical missiles )

Will

8. I use a Double Thick, kinda like a 22, from Germany, I only use *Acescaulp blades, because they are thicker. I tend not to break so many of them off since I switched to the "thick" blades.

If your nice to me I'll "Hook you Up " ....you'll love the part where they don't go...." BING" and shoot accross the room !....and you can "Apply Pressure" and they don't break, and "Knock 'Yer Eye Out" !

Buck....

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Good tip. I worry about the sharp edge cutting the skin though. The whole benefit of the screwdriver is that the skin will tear free before the screwdriver will cut it. I use a screwdriver but never needed a hammer. Push and twist works for me.

10. GregJ

GregJ Active Member

I found out the secret to using a screwdriver around antler burrs is the twisting motion. Don't try to push, just insert the tip into the incision and twist the handle to pry the skin off the burr. Works slick and fast. Of course I've only done a few so far as I only do taxidermy as a hobby.

11. RobinK

RobinK New Member

12. Boxie

Boxie New Member

RobinK,

Amen!

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

OK, I called Havels today and ordered some blades directly from them. Ordering direct, they are only about 3 cents higher than the "cheap" ones. That's not so bad.
    What is bad is I thought I had another box of "cheap" blades. WRONG. So back to those dang razor blades until they get here. How the heck do you people that use them all the time stand them? Fifteen minutes into a deer and my hand HURTS and I'm not getting anywhere fast. Think I'm going to throw them all in the freezer and flesh them when I get my blades. I've got fish to paint anyway, think I'd rather fight the airbrush than a razor blade.

14. cht

cht New Member

Re: What is the best size scalpel blade to use while skinning/fleshing a deer he

#25 for skinning everything from pheasants to flatheads & deer

15. Gary B.

Gary B. Active Member

Havels #70 with a stainless handle- nice to work with

Gary B.

16. K Kave

K Kave Member

18. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    #10 blade for caping out face of deer. Either a #10 blade or #15 blade for for turning lips, eyes, and ears. Only use 2 or 3 for entire process. Bard Parker brand (get from hospitals)

19. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

#22 and ONLY Havels...the others are a waste of money

20. bosco

bosco New Member

IL
    # 70 with the thick handle