1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Central Texas School of Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Training' started by Kenny, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Kenny

Kenny New Member

I am curious if any of you have attended Central Texas School, if so, what are your thoughts about this school and what did you like or dislike about it. Or please feel free to add any other comments or suggestions, as I am getting ready to make a commitment to attend a formal school. This is one of three that I am seriously considering, any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance, Kenny

2. I attended this school in June of this year and really learned allot. Kelly is an excellent instructor and everything is hands on.
    You will learn more in 6 weeks than you can imagine.

3. topwater

topwater New Member

I just got back from school a couple of weeks ago. I learned enough that I have opened my own bussiness. The only complaint a few of us had was to much down time.

4. Josh

Josh New Member

Kenny, I would highly recommend that you NOT attend the central texas school of taxidermy. There is one in San Antonio that I would recommend, I can't think of the name of it off hand but will look it up and get back to you. Kelly's school only gives you the BARE basics. Anyone who knows what they are talking about will tell that it takes years to pick this stuff up and makes you believe you can do it in 6 weeks. When you come out of the school he makes you think that you are ready for whatever is thrown at you which couldn't be more wrong. I had to work for another taxidermist for a year and half before I went out on my own and that was after I attended Kelly's shcool. The way I do things now is a total 180 from what I was taught by kelly and my work is 100 times better than when I was doing it kelly's way. Don't waste your money. What part of texas are in? You would be better off trying to work for/with a taxidermist than going to the school.

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Kenny, i dont think Brooklyn necessarilly knows what hes talking about. We have students who graduate our 5 week course, go right into business and do very well. Of course there are some who walk away without absorbing anything. It depends on the individual. where ever you decide to attend school, just remember to go thru it with a positive,"i can do this" attitude. Brooklyn kid, if you came away from a good school without any skills its your own fault.

check out what some sucessful students have to say:
    http://www.taxidermy-school.com/taxidermySchoolRecommendations.htm

6. Josh

Josh New Member

Bill, I never said I didn't have any skills coming out of school. I had the skills that were taught to me which were crappy skills. If you teach crap, you learn crap. I just gave my opinion, if kenny wants to waste his money that's his loss, not mine.

7. Dickydoo

Dickydoo New Member

Kenny
    I am going to attend Central Texas school of Taxidermy in june. I am really excited about the class and cant wait. I stay on the computer alot looking at different techniques.

8. northflorida

northflorida New Member

Kenny I went to Central Texas School of Taxidermy years ago and now I have opened my own school in Florida. www.schooloftaxidermy.net or call386-658-2018 for more info.

9. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Actually, the school in San Antonio isn't open anymore, at least I don't thinks so. The owner/teacher passed away recently. As far as the Central Texas school, I haven't heard anything positive about it, but then again I don't know many who actually went there.

10. mntduks-tx

mntduks-tx New Member

Kenny...

Bobby is correct as the instructor passed away a few months ago. I think alot has to do with the individual attending the school.
    Good luck in your endeavor.

11. JLG

JLG Member

I attended ctst last January and know have a good business in southern Oklahoma. Kelly is a good teacher,pay close attention and take good note.what you learn is just the basics. but it is enough for you to learn a lot by your self

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Kenny, I see you have a website with mounts pictured. I just wonder how much you will get out of a school when it looks like you already know the basics. Have you thought about taking a one-on-one class that's a little more than just basic? I always thought the schools were more for people that didn't really have a clue what they were doing. Since you know how to mount something, even basically, you might get more out of a weekend lesson in someone's shop. There are several members of the Texas Taxidermy Association that give those kind of lessons.

BTW, if you haven't already, you should consider joining the TTAI. We will have a mini-seminar in Feb in Kerrville that is free to members. Our convenetion will be in June in Ft. Worth. What you can learn there is well worth the cost.

13. John_E

John_E New Member

I went to the 6 week class several years back and will definitely say I couldn't have asked for anything more great location and a great school. Kelly is an excellent instructor and willing to help all his students even after leaving the school. I had a great time and learned enough to get a good start in the taxidermy industry, if I had it to do over again I would choose this school again witout a doubt.