1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Seam on back of fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by TMoney334, Nov 13, 2007.

1. TMoney334

TMoney334 New Member

What do you use to cover up the seam on the back of a fish mount?

2. I use a paper product which is not really paper. In the industry that makes it, it is called dry form. something like "bounty" the quicker picker upper"only thicker. It is not paper and not cloth either. I get the by product "end rolls" free from the paper mill here in town. I feel I am doing my part in conservation as this by product is not allowed in land fills. I use white glue to adhere it to the fish. It has a somewhat textured finish which actually looks pretty good but,... who looks back there anyway?

3. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    On commercial mounts I use bondo with a hint of resin and fiberglass chop, then sand it smooth. On competition pieces I use Apoxie Sculpt and a silicone scale imprint.

4. JasonMoe

JasonMoe New Member

I glue black felt on the back. I also put some felt circle pads or felt velcro, circles about 1 inch circle on the back of driftwood on the bottom so the wood does'nt scrartch the the wall; or get it all dirty when hanging it.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Good idea to keep the wall from getting scratched. But to each his own. I find the felt too gaudy and conspicuous.

6. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I use smooth-out. I carve the scales in with a dremel the next day and it never cracks. I generally try to keep my seams small if at all, and this method is very quick and efficient. In my opinion, it gives a more finished look than other methods I have tried.

7. Slick

Slick Something smells fishy?

I use felt.I haven't got a complaint yet.

8. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    My philosophy on the back of a commercial fish is to make it clean and well blended. No harsh transitions to attract the eye. People who state that their customers demand perfect backs on a commercial fish aren't doing enough to "WOW" them on the show sides. Just my opinion, but I think felt looks cheesy and out dated - sorry guys. Epoxy is great, just more expense and time consuming to use. The resin and fiberglass chop in the bondo mixture cuts down on the cracking of just pure bondo. Good luck to all.

9. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

I agree with the epoxy crowd. I think Marc's "smooth out" is the same as what I use which is called Magic-Smooth. I use this or a two part Epo-grip which self levels and hardens in minutes.
    Magic-Smooth is the consistency of vaseline. With a wet finger you can smooth it out to your liking and it makes for a clean looking finish on the back (which your customer will only look at once. They always have to look at the back for some reason).

10. sparkyf

sparkyf New Member

I used epo grip fin majic today, and think this is how I will do it from now on.

11. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

well said Ken ;D.

I use apoxie to cover the seam.

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Epo Grip seam repair or Apoxie Sculpt

13. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

I use Majic Smooth , feather it out and paint .

14. If the customer is wanting a perfect seam on the back side then you should be charging for a pedestal mount!!!

Ken is right!!

15. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I used to do nothing to the seam but paint it black. Now, I put some apoxie sculpt on it and roll over it with a Mac-Z scaler. Of course, I went up $2 per inch when I started doing this. It only takes a minute.

16. den007

den007 Active Member

Marc......I have toyed with some paper like you have, but it sounds like your product is a bit more durable. It is a great idea! If you don't mind, where do you get this stuff? I would stop by the mill and pick it up if I had to.