1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

MOUNTING A STARFISH

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by DILLWEED, Nov 16, 2007.

1. DILLWEED

DILLWEED www.burkholderswildlifestudio.com

I need some advice on mounting a starfish. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. If you try to just dry it, it will flatten. I tried several a few years back and never had any luck. I know its possible as in the Florida gift shops thay had some fairly good looking ones.

3. DILLWEED

Do you know were I could buy a freezedried one? I was thinking about just doing that.

4. RiflePines

RiflePines New Member

Dillweed, if you'd used the little "Search" box up there, you would have found this------> http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,53342.0.html

Folks were talking about them just yesterday. Have fun!

5. DILLWEED

Thanks, I had seen that but was just curious to see if there are alternatives. I am going to try the method described.

6. RiflePines

RiflePines New Member

I'm glad ya looked through the previous posts. ;) Enjoy...post a pic when you're done please? Hag1.

7. newbirdman

newbirdman Active Member

I live on the ocean and this is all you have to do . Take the starfish , lay it out on a piece of wax paper and pour table salt on it . Dont cover it with salt but just sprinkle enough so that it absorbs into the body . Just let it dry and your done . Been doing it this way for 40 years . I have bags of dried starfish . Rick

8. DILLWEED

I gotta try that. The one I have is falling apart though. Some of the legs are starting to fall off. If its so bad I cant use it, would I be able to get one from you?

9. PWS

PWS Active Member

I've dried 'em out and if there's any amount of humidity they'll tend to stink up again. To solve that, I've been soaking them in denatured alcohol and then drying them out. That seems to remove the "stink" better...