1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flesher

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by HWF, Nov 18, 2007.

1. HWF

HWF Member

IOWA
    I am 15 and did 20 mounts last year. This year my parents said I could do 30. I sent them out last year to be prepared and tanned. I am thinking about doing it myself. What would be the best flesher for me? I went to school when I was 12 for deer and gameheads, then the following year for predators. Next summer I will go for fish. I want to do taxidermy forever and have money saved to buy a flesher. Thank you, Hunter

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hunter, I'd strongly recommend that you continue sending them out to be tanned. Doing 30 deer a year isn't going to justify spending the money necessary for a QUALITY fleshing/shaving machine IN MY OPINION. And buying a cheaper one is simply forestalling the inevitable. If you stick with it, you'll eventually want a better one and you'll have a cheaper piece of trash to get rid of. If you don't stick with it, you'll never get what you paid for the cheap machine back.

3. HWF

HWF Member

IOWA
    Thank you, thats What my dad told me to.
    Hunter

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dad's are like that. They act as if they know everything, and they usually do.

5. Nick

Nick New Member

George is right. A small flesher (Dakota IV) will work for you now, but if you are serious about getting into the business I would save until I could afford a Dakota Pro or a Quebec. 30 deer isn't going to be worth the investment in my opinion. Good-luck

6. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I agree... Youd hate to spend alot of money just to have it gather dust or take years to get your money back. I use an Eager Beaver and at 1700.00 its pricey. But well worth every penny..

I applaud your dedication to your chosen field even at such a young age :) Sounds like you know what you want to do and are doing it :) I hope you do well and keep up the good work :)

7. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

yep keep sending them out hunter, frees you up to do something else and you keep your money in your pocket by not buying a costly peice of equipment you will only use oh say 30 times this year, LOL seriously let the tannery take care of your shaving and tanning and keep saving your money when you need a flesher you can buy exactly what you want and take in more deer, Russ