1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

measuring deer?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by paulke6, Nov 19, 2007.

1. I am about to mount my first deer here in a few days. I measured him around the neck like the video showed me how and I am wondering if I go too big of a mount for him. My question is are you supposed to measure after you have skinned the deer or while the hide is still on the deer?

2. abbytaxi

abbytaxi Member

I only measure after they're tanned

3. I prfere to measure the meat on the actual neck. If its not available I measure after tanned.

4. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Measure the carcass AFTER you have the deer skinned. If that's not possible, measure the cape after it's tanned. You can measure before you skin the deer, but you will have to deduct for the skin and hair. Unless you have experience with the deer in your area, the amount that you should deduct is questionable.

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'm w/ Darrell and Old Fart, carcass 1st choice, tanned hide 2nd choice.

6. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Ditto to what Cole said. That's what I do.

7. Frank from PA

Frank from PA Frank's other brother, Frank.

Good advice guys. I prefer measuring the tanned cape. I know exactly what I have. Frank.

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

I'm with Darrell as well.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Whos side should I be on here???? I measure after the tan, because I thin with the machine and get a little extra stretch. Dead meat measurements are second best to me.

10. HammerRhed

HammerRhed New Member

I'm with 4000fps, yeah measuring carcass then measuring after tanned only shows how much your cape/hide shrunk.

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

SHRUNK!!! You need to consider using a different tan. I've never had one shrink.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL Cole, I have to agree.

But to be brutally honest, I don't think I've EVER measured the meat after the animal is skinned. I always take the neck measurement under the chin pulling the tape snug and have never had a problem. On commercially tanned hide, I'd never order a form before I measured the completed hide.

13. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

only measure tanned hide after fleshing.the hide may get bigger after fleshing.that works best.hasn't failed me yet.measure 3in below the ears.

14. 3"below the ears?

15. uncle buck

uncle buck New Member

I ALL WAYS MEASURE 3" BELOW THE EAR'S , TO GET MY NECK MEASURE MENTS.
    IT'S NEVER FAILED FOR ME.

16. Is that the only neck measurment you take?

17. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I take 2, one at the smallest point and one three inches down at the swell.

18. moejr10

moejr10 New Member

Ha Ha this is a funny subject,, so many responses and everyone is correct,, Basically it comes down to as a taxidermist we need to find out what works best for us,, what works for one may not work for the next or at least not as easily.

19. Not true on this subject. Some suppliers only offer the C measurement. So 3" down will not work acuratly. I do it almost exactly as Becky does it with the exception I will try to catch the swell at the point not just call it 3"

20. moejr. you need to watch your hand placement young man. lmao