1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dakota 5 is broken - Need advice

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Nina Lukaszewicz, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Unfortunately, my Dakota 5 decided to crap out right before deer season. I was fleshing some capes from archery season last week and got through two of them, when my flesher broke. The motor still runs when you turn it on, but the blade does not turn. I think there is something wrong with the belt. Either way, I have asked my dad to look at it but he is too busy and hasn't gotten around to it. I will appreciate any advice.

2. Nina, if the motor is turning but the blade is not, you could try tightening the belt a little. sometimes fat and such get under the belt and cause it to slip, it will also loosen over time and if the adjustments wont tighten it enough, it may be strtched out and need a new belt. Sometimes for ther labor involved in finding a solution, the price of a newq belt is cheap

3. John W.

John W. New Member

It sounds like the belt might have broke.If your dad can't get to it right away-you could flesh with a wire wheel on a bench grinder. ;D

4. Randy Mac

Randy Mac New Member

Also check the pully on the shaft of the motor and see if it came loose as well.

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

The pulley could have loosened and the key fell out.
    Get a big strong guy to hold it upside down and see if a little rectangular piece of steel falls out.
    If you lived closer to me I would take a look at it.

Reminds me of a funny story....
    My father in law had a garden tractor that wouldn't move. Put it in gear and nothing happened. He had a family mechanic look at it, mechanic said with authority: "needs a new transmission".
    I stopped by to see what I could tell. He put it in gear, said "look...it doesn't do anything!".
    I said "When the shaft turns and the wheel doesn't, you're just simply missing a key".
    It seems the wheel was loose enough to slide out, and the key fell out.
    Lot's of red ears and silence all around.
    Maybe I just got lucky on that one..

6. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i have lost countless keys on my D5 - i would bet that is what it is - messy fix but very easy - even for a 'dumb girl' - get some help though

7. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Thanks everyone, my dad took a look at it and he fixed it. I don't remember the exact problem, but something had to be tightened with an allen wrench. I'm just glad it's fixed! My flesher is one of the most valuable tools n my shop!