1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Peroxide and Sunlight?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Tuttuman, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Tuttuman

Tuttuman New Member

Hi,

Im doing my first bear skull, had it in Ammonia for over 6 weeks degreasing and is now soaking in 40 Volume Peroxide now going on 48 hours. As far as whiteness, does this happen while in the peroxide or does it get whiter as its drying? Also, Alaska hasnt had alot of sunshine lately and when there is some, its doesnt last long. What is it about sunlight, can I put the skull under direct artificial light, say florescent lighting?

Any insight would be great.

2. Helicity

Helicity Squirrels – Natures Road Bumps

Both it happens before and after. Peroxide only has a life in air for about 3 days so it will go inert after that. The sun helps lighten the skull afterwards through both heat and UV rays. I am sure if you put a skull under a uv light like you would put in a reptile tank would help it but florescent light is a different wave spectrum and dosent give off UV light. I do not use sun on any of my skulls and they turn out just as white. I will throw them outside in the summer to dry off faster but thats about it.