1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mane on whitetails

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bradc, Nov 25, 2007.

1. bradc

bradc New Member

my dad shot a buck this morning with a mane on it (too bad he shot it in neck-i caped it out but will have to try and hide it) i was just wondering if this was uncommon?
  2. mrlamb

mrlamb New Member

Nope I have mounted several with a mane.

3. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

Depending on your area they run from rare to uncommon. We usually get at least one a year. In 45 years I have only killed one .
  4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Mounted two already in my short career.
  5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I usually get at least one a year. My record is intact for this year as I got one the first week or our season.
  6. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i have done a few. got 2 this year already
  7. bennie

bennie Member

I got one in this year 1st. i have ever seen hunted this area of Arkansas all my live.
  8. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

must be a thing in our area then bennie, cause i have never gotten one in down here in sw missouri, Russ
  9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I do more and more every year. This year I've gotten 5 or 6, including one yesterday. One of the deer with a mane this year, also has a 3rd antler protruding from it's skull between it's eyes. I have 2 finished hanging on my wall with manes, waiting for their owners to come and take them home. Most of the manes I see are short. 4-6 inches at the base of the neck. I mounted one a few years ago that had one that ran all the way down it's back like a zebra, and I had a fawn come under me bowhunting this year with the same long mane. Her mother and sister however, had no manes at all. If I have a little time tomorrow I'll snap some pics of the ones I have finished.
  10. tod

tod New Member

Being from S.C. we don't ,or at least i haven't seen one. I have seen deer that look like they are wearing a toupee on their head because the hair is so long would some one post a picture of one with a mane Thanks Tod.
  11. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I've only done one, and I'm pretty sure it was last years
  12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Here are the two that I have finished at this time. They seem to get more and more common every year.
  13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

the other one:
  14. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

if that is just a darker "stripe " then i have done a few, i thought you guys were talkin about a real mane like horse type not as long as a horse, but longer than the rest of the deer, Russ
  15. jkidd

jkidd New Member

I have mounted 1 with a mane. The customer didn't even know it had a mane. He thought I did a bad sewing job! :eek:LOL! I showed him that I used a short incision and that the mane was fairly rare(at least in S GA) He was finally happy and also proud that he had a rare deer. Russ, the mane that I'm talking about was like a horses mane(just not as long), with the mane hair longer than the rest of the hair.
  16. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

The mane I am referring to is the hair that sticks up about 1.5", and is 4" or 5" in length. Like I said, most I get in are this size, but I have had one run the full length of the neck.
  17. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

here is one i did last year
  18. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

another one
  19. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That's it, thanks for posting. Your pics show it much better than mine. I snapped my pics at the shop, and once I got home I realized they suck. LOL
  20. crankin

crankin New Member

i shot one last year that stood up about 2" from the top of the head to right btw the shoulder blades, i get one or two a year in like this also