1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

a few questions from a beginner

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by newbie07, Nov 28, 2007.

1. newbie07

newbie07 New Member

1) if i just skin out the head and send the cape frozen to a tannery can they turn the ears and flesh the cape etc....then send back ready to mount?

2)if a deer head has been in the freezer for a year how do i determine if it has went bad?

3)is it wise to order the form etc...before hide leaves for tannery

2. Yes you can cape the head out and refreze it and send it to the tannery. I use lone stare tannery in smithfield N.C. 919-989-2000 or 919-606-4235. They will turn and split every thing for you and wet tan it . All you will need to do is clean up around the face [eyes,nose & lips] and wash it in dawn and you are ready to mount it. The cape should be ok as long as it does not have alot of frezer burn on it I would get all the fat & meat off after you cape it out and get some stop rot and put on it and refreze it. David at lone stare will let you know if it is any good when he gets it. I would wait until you get the hide back to order the form so you can re messure the cape after it has been tanned. Gary

3. newbie07

newbie07 New Member

thanks another question... how do i go about tanning just a coon head?

4. newbie07

newbie07 New Member

5. Just soak it in 50/50 denatured alcohol and water for a few days. Remember DA is a harsh chemical and you should use it in a well ventilated area and wear gloves.

6. For just a coon head, i would just use some DP (dry presertive). That way, you know it has been cured well enough. I Krowtann everything bigger than a fox, but if I have a batch of it mixed up, I toss in small stuff like that from time to time.