1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#9

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#9

Welcome from Hinsdale New Hampshire!. I'm hoping that every one had a Happy Thanksgiving! While I was doing a bit of traveling with the Family we took some time on the way back to the airport in Chicago and visited our Good friend and on of the resident master contributors Mr. Doug Petrousek!!!

Last week was a great week again with lots of great fish work!!!I really loved to see the old mixed with the new. It sure was fun for me to see the work of so many of you gifted folks from your early attempts at what we do! Great fun we'll do this again in the year for sure!

Week #8 was great and lots of truly tremendous works of art! I love to see new folks show up and show there stuff and it is a gift always to have the faithful each week show their talent too!!

From beginner's to the best in the world we all join in every week in a critique free and hassle free string with nothing more then great artist and inspiring fish taxidermist and carves get together to share with one another their praise and inspiration of good will and friendship to one another.
    So with out further ado lets get week #9 under way.

I want to start the week with a Good friend of all of us Mr Doug Petrousek! Kathie, Miss Amber and your truly got to visit with Doug and his friend and fellow carver Mr. Gary Cichy.
    I must tell you all who have never had the pleasure of meeting or visiting with Doug that he is a real professional! Old School taxidermy talent wrapped in the newest artistic flare of art Doug for sure is and has been one of the very best not only in the midwest but in the county! A gentleman's gentleman Doug showed his beautiful fish work with my family and showed a real time of inspiration! Here are a few pictures of Doug's world along with Gary's beautiful work too!

So here we go and here is to a great week #9! Enjoy!

My Best!
    Your friend
    Rick Krane

Here is Doug , Gary and me at Doug's entrance to his studio in ILL.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a beautiful carving of a Sunfish by Gary Cichy.
    [​IMG]
    Here is Miss Amber with one of Gary's Award winning carvings this is a stunning sturgeon.
    [​IMG]
    A double cool treat for me was Doug with a mount for the 60's for one of the very best of his day Mr. Jim Friesser. Doug is working on restoring some of the classics for a project.
    [​IMG]

2. PercaFluviatilis

PercaFluviatilis ...I hunt , therefore I am...

3. Hey that garfish is Great!!!!
    So cool it worked out for you!

Thats an awesome job, and considering it was your first time with a new species even more impressive!

4. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    Yes, thats realy nice Perca! ;)

5. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Nice shop Doug... I like the deposit sign.

Great artwork last week Josh- very nice.

We are at the height of the Christmas rush here at GS&S. We have more fish to finish by the 25 th than I would like to admit. :'(

Here is a Lake MI summer rainbow skin mount for a retail client. We normally DO NOT put his much green on the backs of summer Rainbows, but the customer requested we " Jazz" it up.

[​IMG]

6. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

WOW a great start to the week for sure!
    Rami Kallio!!! Beautiful Needle fish! The work is truly outstanding!!!
    Aaron!!! Beautiful rainbow!!! Your family is so gifted and blessed with beautiful fish work! I would love to stop by and visit other master taxidermist such as you and your father when I'm in WI again in 2008! Always beautiful work!!!

Here is a laker I fished for a client in South Carolina, Mr. Warren Seppala caught this massive Laker in the Quebec a true trophy Lake trout.
    I hope you all have a great weekend and a great week!
    Your friend Rick Krane
    [​IMG]

7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill If my hats missing im fishing

Rick, beautiful Laker !! and that is one awesome sunfish. Here's a perch I just finished.

[​IMG]

8. Wild Bill

Wild Bill If my hats missing im fishing

and another one

[​IMG]

9. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Doug,
    Nice to match the face with the posts. Beautiful work. You're doing something right, Rick is smiling like a kid in a candy store. That is one AWESOME sunny.
    Aaron,
    Super rainbow. I like that "jazzed up" version.
    Rick,
    I'm dizzy looking at the detail work on that laker. Webster has to find a few new adjectives for your work. Amazing and inspiring. WOW.

10. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

Wow Perca, the garfish is excellent!!!!

11. Taxidermy101

Taxidermy101 New Member

Great fish guys...Perca where do you catch the needle fish? It looks really cool and a challenging fish to do very good taxidermy. Doug your work is even better then some of the pictures you post I hope that sounded right. Rick your the kind of guy who can take a ugly laker and give it class.. Sick! Very Sick!
    Tax101

12. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

Heres a Walleye i just finished up Doug great shop Rick with that smile you should run fro office,Lol a lot of great fish as usual

13. Debbie N

Debbie N New Member

MA.
    Rick wicked looking Lake trout. My dad and I caught one that looked like that one how big was it? What did you use for the detailing on the lower section that is wicked. Love to see your new fish maybe a Dvd on lakers I hope. Stan

14. PercaFluviatilis

PercaFluviatilis ...I hunt , therefore I am...

Thank you JKnuth, Red stag, Rick, Peter Span and tax101 for your kind words. I really appreciate!
    Tax101 - It´s caught in Baltic sea, southwestern coast of Finland (not very common here). And its actually is not needlefish but garfish, they are very similar species. See JKnuth and my discuss about needlefish vs. garfish, there is link in my first reply.

And that laker is so beautyful!

Rami

15. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

The spotting and markings are the most realistic I've seen on a Laker. Nice flow to the fish also.

16. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Perca,you nailed that :eek:!! Really cool and good looking piece! That must have been fun to do it! ;)

17. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    Sorry-very nice carvings! Hope I will do it like that one day. Also a very nice Lake trout ,Rick. Thanks for sharing. :D

18. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    Rick that laker is out of this world man, whens the dvd coming out for that!

19. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

This is my first attempt at a fish. It is my grandson's first fish and my daughter insisted I mount it for him. Other than the fact I have never done a fish, my son-in-law gutted the thing before bringing it to me frozen. I read up on the posts here (after trying to find someone selling a crappie already done) and then gave it a shot. I'm not too pleased with the results, but my grandson loved it. Man, I have loads of respect for you guys who mount fish so well! I'm not sure if I'll try another or noty.

MLP

20. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Oops! One more time. This is my first attempt at a fish. It is my grandson's first fish and my daughter insisted I mount it for him. Other than the fact I have never done a fish, my son-in-law gutted the thing before bringing it to me frozen. I read up on the posts here (after trying to find someone selling a crappie already done) and then gave it a shot. I'm not too pleased with the results, but my grandson loved it. Man, I have loads of respect for you guys who mount fish so well! I'm not sure if I'll try another or not.

MLP