1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

horse cape

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ty1on20, Oct 30, 2006.

1. I have a customer who needs a horse cape to redo a antique rocking horse, or something that would be close to it,
    I never have done anything with a horse before and have no idea where to get one or if its legal, any help would be greatly appreciated, since its for his dad for Christmas, I guess it was his grandfathers or something. thanks again Todd

2. Yes, its legal just dont tell the bunny huggers. As for you getting one, horses are cheap these days, go to a livestock auction.

3. XD

XD Guest

Phone your local vet and find out who he calls to pick up the horses that he has to put down. Then phone those people and ask for the hide of the next one they get. There are certain people who pick up dead farm animals and sell the meat for dog food (if they died naturaly), that is where I have gotten horses from in the past. The only problem is they drag the body on to their truck so there might be drag marks. Good luck.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Send off an email to [email protected] I have bought a few horse tails from Steve and I know he has access to horse hides of all sizes. You'll be getting a raw, salted hide unless he has some tanned ones about. If it's sent out to be tanned, you won't have it back by Christmas though. I can't say that I have ever seen an antique rocker made with a real horse cape though. I've seen them with real manes and tails .. and one that was sculpted leather but never one that used a real hose head hide. I'd like to see pictures of it just out of curiosity. Might have used the hide from a small colt depending on how big it is. :)