1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lets see eveyones salt tables

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Bobbi Meyer, Nov 30, 2007.

1. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Bobbi
    I should have explained a little better. Build it like yours with the support but replace the lattes with nylon screen to hold the salt on the hide.
    Thanks
    Ralph

2. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

andy, its my secret, if i told ya i would have to kill ya ;D but in all honesty, the tan is 37 bucks, and for an extra 10 they turn and salt, heck he even said they would flesh it to if i didnt have time for that price, so i am guilty of letting a few raws go up, and to top it off, he is close enough he picks up and delivers for free if i send 10 or more capes or hides to him. Now if i let the cat out of the bag i will lose my 60 day or less turn around as well, and thats not from the time he starts them, that is from pickup to drop off. Russ

3. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    russ has a bunch of illegals tanning his deer capes.lol.

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

No, that would be done in Kerrville :)

5. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Bobbie thanks for taking the time to post up a picture of your salt table.
    I wish I had the room to install a pemanent salt table but at the moment I just use a tilted ply square on the floor as capes come in then put them away when I'm done. It drives me crazy with the mess but its all I have room for, for now.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

In took this one of the salt room this afternoon.
    [​IMG]

7. TrophyRoom

TrophyRoom New Member

LMAO!!

I wholesale all my turning and fleshing out now also but I pay WAY more than 10 bucks......
    I used to use shelves on the wall to roll capes up on after the fleshing and first salting with pvc pipe that drained into a bucket. After second salting, I hung them up to dry.

8. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    my lilltle set up. not in use stores easy w/ out taking up much space. 2x4 frame w/ plastic mesh stapled on it. salt over nigt hang dry the next day fold up and let dry few more days before shipping them out.

9. Thistle

Thistle New Member

We don`t have anything like the size of moose or elk here, but for salting I use an old refrigerator, the hide gets salted, folded and sits on the grill shelves in there, plus the closed and sealed door keeps the meat flies off the hide (a real problem here in summer), when I take the hide out for pickling the salt and water has fallen to the bottom of the fridge, only take five minutes to scrape it out, rinse and dry with a cloth. :)

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

You could even use an old manual defrost freezer that has a drain in it. Good idea, Thisle.

11. wayne70

wayne70 Member

I don't have a picture handy but I have 3 sheets of 1/2 plywood mounted on an angle with supports on the ends, The bottom pc. of plywood is off the floor high enough to sit a 5 gal. pail on one end. The other 2 sheets of plywood extend out about and inch more than the bottom one. I the put a plastic rain gutter below the bottom sheet of plywood so that the drainage from the hides hits the gutter and flows to the 5 gal. pail. With 3 sheets of plywood you can get up to 10=12 hides salted at once

12. I use a small kids pool, about 4 ft. across to salt my hides that are deer sized. I only do shoulder mount and small life size. Then I use an "A" frame type stretcher to hang the hide 24 hours, resalt And roll up. A dehumidifier runs 24/7 in my work space when salting so hides dry fast.

13. aboutpostal

aboutpostal Member

I think it is a good idea