1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making Rawhide?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by AndyB, Dec 2, 2007.

1. AndyB

AndyB New Member

Ok correct me if i am wrong please, if i take a deer cape and put it in a mixture of water and ashes from a fireplace, for 24hours will it slip the hair and make the hide still safe to tan for rawhide or hair OFF? I would like your input i looked in the search bar but nothing. Thanks AndyB

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Alkaline conditions will indeed make the hair slip on your hide. It may take more than 24 hrs. however, to achieve the results you want. You also must have the correct pH to do so. Ash mixed with water is basic. It takes a lot of ash to get the solution basic enough to loosen the hair so you may have to add some KOH or NaoH.. Try www.braintan.com and search under "bucking hides".. ;)

3. RiflePines

RiflePines New Member

Curiosity question because I use lime now...but would the ashes from a pellet stove work? We use hard wood pellets. Hmmm...might just have to try it if no one knows for sure. :-\

4. AndyB

AndyB New Member

Thanks for the info guys that helps a lot

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Andy, you probably looked in the wrong place. Scroll to the top of the page and click on "OLD Taxidermy Net Forums" and type in "Making rawhide". Bruce Rittel had a step by step process. BTW, you don't TAN rawhide.

6. cyclone

Yes...

7. AndyB

AndyB New Member

How much ash to water should i use and what should the PH be?

8. AndyB

AndyB New Member

Ok thanks

9. cyclone

Over at braintan.com they'll tell you that you need to add ashes until you can float an egg in the solution. The pH will need to be about 13 to do this and it will take a lot of ashes..

10. think lime do the trick

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Hydrated lime, what a caustic mess, it will ruin your plastic tubs, stain your floor, and the hair that comes off will make hair soup in the lime bath. What a mess to get rid of afterwords. Allot of work for a little buckskin. It's easer to just send it out and have buckskin made for you, and it's not at expensive at all.

12. cyclone

Potassium or sodium hydroxide.

13. rbs

rbs New Member

I used to make rawhide and braintan with wood ashes all the time. I used 1 part wood ash to 2 parts water. The pH should be just below 13 for best results. Be carfull with hardwood as I have ruined a few hides making it too strong. With soft wood make it as thick as you can get. In cold weather it may take over a week. In warm weather problem about 2 or three days. The longer you leave it in the better the hair comes out.
    Ryan

14. A friend has gifted me a Buffalo salted hide
    Would you have any idea how to prepare this hide into rawhide so I can make him a drum from it?
    Please advise
    Bear

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just follow Ryan's instructions and when the hair is all off, stretch the skin over your drum and cinch it down. Allow it to dry and your drum is done. Make SURE those cinches are very strong as that hide will dry with incredible pressures.