1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

FedEx and Research

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by pyeager1, Dec 5, 2007.

1. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I noticed in the back of the Research Mannikins catalog it shows a map of UPS and FedEx and has the days of delivery color coded. I also noticed my area was colored for 1 day in the FedEx map and 2 day in the UPS map. So needing a few items that Research had, I called an order in at about 11am Monday and requested FedEx shipping to see if this was BS or not. Well, be damned if their wasn't a FedEx truck backed up to the garage door about 5 pm this evening! I don't know where in IL their warehouse is, but I live in central AL and I was impressed with the shipping time.

2. i switched to ship all our bases, plaques and other products out via fedex too. ups had way to many hidden charges and we were losing money on the shipping

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I called my order in the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and requested that it be shipped so that it would arrive on the following Tuesday. AS I was going out of town hunting. They held my order until Friday shipped it out, and fed ex was at my shop Tuesday Morning :) I was very pleased.. That has GOT to be the fastest I have ever received supplies... I really like the fed Ex shipping. 5 deer shoulders- total cost on shiping was 23.00 and some change. Typically it takes 7 to 10 days to reach me since IM in Calif... But Research gets them to me fast and that added courtesy of holding the order for me was so very nice of them :) Just made it easier for me to enjoy my hunt knowing I wouldnt have a box seting out in front of my gate while I was gone.

I like their forms too :)

4. ups sucks....i use fedex

5. It is all opinions. I personally side with UPS. FedEx is good too, but I really am a UPS guy.

BTW, 734Lumber, everytime I see your Avatar I feel that you're saying lumBER in my ear. :D

6. Whatever you do , DO NOT use DHL. They'll screw you over in a hearbeat at every turn. :mad: I used them for about a year and a half because UPS wouldn't consider me a business since the studio is on the same property as the house. Well DHL lost one whole shipment of tanned hides coming back from the tannery. They also ruined a shipment of frozen hides going to the tannery. I got only $300 for the lost shipment even thogh the claim was for $900 and they denied the second claim of the damaged shipment. Both shipments were insured. I was told the inspector couldn't inspect the damaged capes. BULL, they were right there for him to SMELL and touch. So I sent a "nice" letter to DHL and demanded to reopen my claim. Haven't heard anything back from them yet. :mad:

I'm using FedEx now and hope that I'l find my permanent carrier now. Well one can hope. So far so good.

7. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

There are lots of little quirks, tricks and bends in the shipping biz. Having worked for FedEx, lets you in on them. It really boils down to price, which FedEx ground saves me about 30%. The big deal is how your package is routed to you and how many times it gets tossed, forklifted, etc. A big advantage is getting to know your driver or better yet, your driver getting to know you, which will get you a lot better service.

8. RoyalOaksRanch

Really? Their blacktail forms work pretty dang good. A few things need changed but over all I like them well enough. I have some muley forms in now and they look pretty good except for the roman nose part.
    The foam seems good too. Good density etc..

9. xman

xman Member

I use fedex right now. I used DHL once. The shipping charge was 52.00. when I got my statemt they charged me 520.00. It took 3 months and alot of being " on hold" to get a check back for 450.00 ???? go figger

10. RoyalOaksRanch

Wow thats a BIG mistake! And why would they send you a check, they should have credited your credit card... Not to mention 520.00 minus 52.00 does not equal 450.00 They screwed you out of about 18.00 Id be majorly mad....

11. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

They probably charged him an $18.00 service charge to issue the check? ;D

12. xman

xman Member

yea they would not credit my card , said it had to be a check , and yes it was some kind of service charge... Pathetic is all I can say. Fedex is cheaper and in my opinion has been more reliable. Ups ins claims are bs as well .

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I know of a goldfish fish farm in Indiana that ships live fish all over the country. For some reason they are most happy with DHL. Beats me?

14. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Really! man their mistake and they charged you fee to issue a check! I would be tempted to set down by the road and pump three shotgun blast at the tuck as it passed by! I've only had DHL here one time and that was a delivery from an ebay auction. Didn't have any problems that I remember.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Come to think of it DHL delivered my wife's expensive laptop. When I got to the door she was driving off and I yelled, "Hey do you want me to sign for this?" She said, "No". I was not impressed.

16. mrdux

mrdux Member

I ordered twice from Research in OR and had it shipped FedX. It took 9 business days each time. NO JOKE!!! I talked to Mark about it and asked that they NEVER ship FedX again. I get next day UPS shipping from their IL warehouse. 4-5 days from OR.

17. B.S.

B.S. New Member

I think it just depends on where you are . I order quite a bit of stuff from Research and it takes 2 days with UPS . When they started using Fed-Ex , they said I could save a few bucks with them . First shipment - 5 days . Second shipment - 6 days . Third shipment - I'll pay the extra couple bucks for 2 day UPS please !