1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lowballers and hacks hurting the industry?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mk, Dec 6, 2007.

1. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    lets face it there are a ton of guys doing taxidermy part time compared to guys doing it full time. so why is it that the part timers are usually cheaper than the full time guy??!?! i feel that the full time taxidermist cannot survive on local customers especially with alot of people that are part time(yeah maybe they only take in so many a year, but its still more hands getting stuck in the cookie jar so to speak) . i dont know, i dont care if guys are part time, but for the love of god why so much cheaper, is it that much fun to work a reg 40hr work week and then come home to work weekends and nights? i blame 1/2 this on the taxidermy schools putting out guys that are cutting corners and doing mounts cheap. in particular suppliers school that has the preset eye system. i wont mention names here ::). here's the thing its catching up to some of these guys in my area and they are getting 2 1/2 years behind, yet they tell possible customers 6months!. i dont know i guess it depends what you want to make, better doing deer heads at $10/hr and being your own boss than working for someone else making $8.50/hr. -you dont see plumbers or electricians woodworkers, mechanics and painters doing that. sorry to vent but having customers tell me stories today and see tons of people in the area charging $300 for deerheads. ive had some low numbers this year, i feel i may have raised prices too much, maybe its a combination of a lot of things. i dunno.

2. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA
    Re: part timers hurting the industry?

mk its not venting when its the truth , I myself am Part time too but im up there with the full timers and im considering making the jump now. Ive said it before what would one have to lose raising prices if part time?

3. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

I think a lot of this depends on area. I know where I am(geographically) and there are full timers at $275 - $350, and I am part time and at $450. Yes there are newbie part timers that are low but the lowest I have seen here was a full time guy at $165. Don't blame it all on part timers, blame it on bad business men/women.

4. Mason

Mason Active Member

I know lots of part time masons and carpenters, electricians you name it. All occupations have them. Heck look at the school teachers. They all have cash work during the summer months and weekends.
    Just folks wanting their piece of the pie is all. And the way the economy is getting. You almost have to have some kind of work on weekends if you want anything . But I do agree there are a lot, doing work awfully cheap.

Mason

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

If we all charged the same prices then all that would be left would be quality to make your choice from. Part timers & a lot of full timers wouldnt be able to compete on quality. So they charge artificially low prices to get a piece of the pie. Its their only chance.

6. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA

Good point Bill,

7. mk

mk -30 below

IL

yeah i understand that bill, but heres my point people get a deer mounted usually when its their 1st buck and anything bigger than the last one they shot. the average person out there knows nothing about quality taxidermy, or taxidermy in general. some guys dont know or care so they go with a cheap price cause they dont know any better. yes i know that there is some good taxidermy at cheap prices, but you guys know what types of folks im talking about.

8. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

Bullst1t. Quality is the artist not whether he/she is full time or not. How about Mike Rohanna, two time World Champion, he's part time. There are a lot of quality part timers and a lot of crappy full timers, and to put them in the same boat is total BS. I understand that you guys think that being full time makes you something but quality is what is put into it.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

To quote the taxidermoligist, he said that you have to choose who your clients will be, the rich, the average or the welfare. There is a market for all three of these.

10. mk

mk -30 below

IL

ok so how do you explain the wealthy guys that are cheap asses. they have the money, but choose to go cheap for whatever reason.

11. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

QUOTE: i blame 1/2 this on the taxidermy schools putting out guys that are cutting corners and doing mounts cheap.

How do you figure that taxidermy schools are to blame? Cutting corners and doing mounts cheap is more likely to be someone with little or no training. After 5 weeks of me stressing that they need to do the best work they can do, and to charge 10 percent higher than the most expensive guy in town, i assure you that none of our graduates are in that cheap, corner cutting group your talking about.
    If your business isnt what it should be, look to yourself instead of coming up with excuses for why you arent making it and pushing the blame on others. I dont hear Ronald McDonald bellyaching about Burger King and Wendys undercutting the Big Mac and taking a bigger slice of the pie. Dont worry about how others do thier business, all you need to do to succeed is to concern yourslf about how you do YOURS!

12. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I dont think so much its part timers... I think its the low ballers that hurt everyone including themselves.
    IM full time but being I just opened my doors this year, I dont have a ton of work coming in, but IM not cheap, I charge 525.00 for deer.
    But with the holidays and taxes due in a couple of days.. Lets face it the economy stinks and people are being more tight with their money right now. When your trying to buy your kids and family gifts and having to make that final property tax payment, somehow having a critter mounted gets put on the back burner.. IM not too worried, I figure the ones with the critters in their freezer will eventually come around. And soon as more people know IM here I will get more clients. Until then I just keep working on whatever comes thru the door and when Im not busy I can head off for a hunt :) Or mount something of my own to put on display :)

13. Re: part timers hurting the industry?

Biggest thing is people cannot tell good work from poor work.

Today we had another taxidermist who does a lot of business recommend us for fish work, well the other man does pretty good fish, but he flat told the client we do a better job, we are also $14.00 per inch. Then the clients brother ask the taxidermist about some other things the brother had in the freezer, again the man said we were the people to do them.

Well all in all when our new clients arrives they had 4 bobcats, 3 bass, 1 rainbow trout, 1 coyote, 3 deerheads and a bear for a rug. Believe me we are not cheap for our area. They paid their deposits in cash.

The turnout this year has been great and we certainly are going to go up on price Jan 1. Hell FedEx is going up 5% but that same 5 will not support the increase in supply prices and shipping for us. Plus propane prices are up.

Metal siding has went way up and since we are going to build a new and bigger building, we have to include that in out prices, plus we will need a new air compressor and lighting, wiring.

We have lots of part-timers and certainly are not the best there is but we try our best and it holds its own very well.
    But the part timers have plenty of work too. Biggest thing is providing a high quailty service and getting paid for it, when you get paid for doing your best your attitude is different. If someone starts the so and so is cheaper we tell them take it to them.

Sure there will be someone who will take their place on our customer list. I have been in taxidermy 30 years, but did very little from 2003 until last year 2006, so this is the 2nd year in business, this is a new location and way to hell out of the way.

Maybe there is always an excuse for not getting work.

14. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Great Post Bill!...I'm a part timer and raised my price from $350 to $400 on W/T Shoulder mounts at the start of the season. If you check the price list on my website you will see that I just went up again to $425, which puts me higher then all the full time guys around me. Now granted I haven't taken in many this year but that was the plan. If I'm going to do it I'm going to get paid for it! Overtime rate here at work is $37.50 per hour. Shop time is going to be play time for me in 08!

15. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Bravo EJ! You have learned the lesson well. WORK LESS FOR MORE MONEY!
    you will weed out some of those pesky price shoppers, and be taking on the kind of clients that will help your business prosper.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

See? they asked for price, not quality. They don't care what it looks like when it is done, they want cheap, and they normally get cheap. Why do you want those customers?

17. mk

mk -30 below

IL

bill im not ripping on your school and your students, but even YOU have to admit that there are some poor schools out there and people teaching the wrong ways of doing taxidermy, yes there are some good ones but i know for a fact of poor ones out there teaching students, those students start a shop using techniques they learned at their school, and they dont really know any better. yeah so what they go out of business after a couple years only for a new one to take their place. same crap people are on a fixed income especially around xmas time, yeah im gonna save a couple hundred dollars on my deer mount attitude, they don't care about visiting a showroom and looking at mounts or being educated.

18. mk

mk -30 below

IL

See? they asked for price, not quality. They don't care what it looks like when it is done, they want cheap, and they normally get cheap. Why do you want those customers?

T, they dont know what quality is, i honestly think some people can't tell the difference between a crap, mediocre, good, and great job. and i think there are people out there that want a real good job done cheap. im not saying i want those customers but a job is a job, everyone has it figured out in their head how many jobs they need to come into the shop to do well for the year. i know i wont get every one and i dont want everything either but i do know what i need to get in and this year is sllllooowwww.

19. Mason

Mason Active Member

Whats the difference between a part timer using what they've learned so far cutting corners and a full timer using what they've learned so far doing commercial work as apposed to competition work?

20. mk

mk -30 below

IL

sorry, there are full timers out there too doing poor work also, its just in my area theres a ton of part timers. there are good part timers out there also. thats all.