1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lowballers and hacks hurting the industry?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mk, Dec 6, 2007.

1. rebel

rebel New Member

they will if everyone around is $500

2. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    My last post on this..................................................... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
    I'm not telling anyone that there should be a set national or local price, what I'm saying is find out who charges what, If the highest price guy in your area is at $700 then lets all come together and get up towards that $700 price, If theres a guy at $500 where you live then lets get everyone up to that $500 price. then as in each year as prices on everything go up everyone goes up some. That way your not fighting amongst each other and everyone can make decent money. and if you get too much work you can afford wholesale work to be done. Theres guys out there that might be at $5/in on fish and get hundreds of fish in a year or there might be some that only get 5-10 in each year same with the guys at $15/in. It doesn't matter its all a numbers game. The thing is there is going to be doubts doing this, but if everyone is on the same page and encourage others its a win win for everyone. the best guys will get paid more and are able to make a living as well the hacks.

Why is everyone against raising their prices and helping others do so? we give out tips and tricks on here free to help boost the quality of everyones work, but yet shun or faces when it comes to the pricing of this industry ??? ??? ???

3. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

No they will say. Hey . Thats more then I pay for my property taxes for the year. Or . WOW that's more then a weeks pay? I can't afford that!!!

4. rebel

rebel New Member

i dont mean this ugly but you got the wrong type of costumers them mybe i should say min would give there left leg i have 10-15 costumers i mount 3 or pieces for every year

5. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

We don't all have that luxury.

6. rebel

rebel New Member

that could just be the difference i dont know i only know how it work around here

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

mk, how is it that now you're conciliatory in your attitude? Read the title of the post. And now you're advocating collusion and breaking anti-trust laws. AND FOR WHAT? Pep Boys sells 7x15 tires for $50 each and Michelin sells the same sized tire for $150 each. Obviously there's a market for the lower priced tire. There's NOTHING in encouraging everyone to raise their prices, but advocating it simply as a self-serving method of maiking business FOR YOU easier, it just insulting. I don't agree with a lot of the logic that the guys charging $199 or $350 use, but just today, I took $150 for a finished deer head. Why? Because the hunter had not claimed the mount in 3 months. When I called him, he apologized and came right over. (I'm not there, obviously, but he spoke to Connie.) He brought $50 and told her that was all that he had (he'd left $100 deposit). He said his employer had cut his wages in half and his wife was working two jobs including cleaning people's houses. He said he'd cut my lawn and trim my shrubs to help pay for his deer but that his mortgage company was threatening him with foreclosure and after he'd bought groceries, $50 was all he could afford. He said he'd pay the rest as soon as he could. Connie called me and I called him. I told him to come get his deer. He said he wasn't going to take charity from anyone. I told him I wasn't giving him charity, I was giving him credit and I expected him to pay me when things got better.

Now I'm not rich by any imagination, but a deer hanging in my shop is just gathering dust. In the real world where people like this guy lives, everything is not the pie-in-the-sky you'd like for it to be. Many people are doing things they'd have never imagined 5 years ago and it could get even worse. So enough of this bullsh1t about raising prices so they don't "hurt the industry". There are much more important things effecting people today.

8. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

George. I'm glad you are back. Rda doesn't know Chit any more. He just says . Ask George. So it's good to hear from someone that know's something.

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

And that shall be the botton line.CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Best post yet on these 17 pages. Thank you George.

11. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Yeah i guess your right us taxidermists are going to start going to other taxidermists with baseball bats and threatening to burn their houses down like the teamsters in the union ::). I mean i hear about that going on all the time in the pacific northwest.. ::)

12. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I was talking to a cop the other day.. he noticed my truck and asked what I charge.. I told him.. He said he was waiting to get his deer back from a guy that charges 250.00 per deer.. He requires 50.00 deposit, the rest at pick up..

He said it was crazy and kind of scarey..., the guy came out all bloody and he said it was like silence of the lambs, he said people were just dropping off deer right and left.. I had to laugh. I told him I wouldnt touch a deer for 250.00 and that there is a reason I charge what I do..

Now he is worried what his deer will look like.. I asked him if he SAW the guys work before he dropped it off.. He said no but he was cheap..

50.00 deposit doesnt even cover the form, and eyes let alone if he sends it out for tanning ... Cant see how that guy is making any money at all.. Only thing I can think is the guy has no busniess sense and just doesnt realize that he is doing all that work for nothing.

13. mt

mt New Member

GOOD FOR GEORGE !!!!!! ;D

14. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Sorry Hudson! LOL. I thought you carried around philly cheesesteaks not a basball bat. lmao j/k.

Here's the deal. I think george mention regulation earlier in this thread and how he said nobodys likes being told what they can and what they can't do. True, I agree with that statement

However, In this industry there is absolutely no regulation at all, perhaps a taxidermy license in some states. I think PA had the thing for a few years of where you had to take a test of some sort before you could start out, not sure if they are still doing that or dropped it- i do know the quality of work over there as a whole is quite excellent and have heard their state show is very large.
    This very site is regulated by "moderators" to keep everyone in line whether they like it or not.

The thing with regulation is that if there is None things aren't run right- some things are, but theres more problems than good. Too much regulation, well that's not good either the rules or laws trying to help the system start defeating it and cause more problems than good as well. Some regulation and you will end up with everything running fine and if there are problems that arise those problems are addressed.

Here's a simple analogy of no regulation, some and too much...
    Say its the 1800's your living in a town out west yet there is no sherriff. The town is constantly under attck by robbers and theives some people in the community that are good people are constantly in fear of their lives, some are shot others robbed, ect. The governement sends out a sheriff and a deputy to this town as it is out of control. Pretty soon the townspeople feel safe things run as they should and any bad guys that go into town to commit crime are caught and dealt with. However, as in some cases, The sheriffs get bored sitting around all day and there's no more real bad guys out there -some but not so much in the earlier days. So then for some reason they start getting nit picky with the townspeople they are handing out parking tickets, speeding tickets, someone has a conflict and the sheriff uses poor judgement and actuall law abiding citizens are thrown in jail. Then the mayor of the town wants more taxes, people are saying there taxed enough sheriff and deputy go around throwing more people in jail cause they don't want to pay taxes. People start moving out of town, some people stay civil unrest occurrs the town implodes on itself, and the cycle continues. lol

15. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

The test in PA was a joke. No longer doing it.
    Just pay $100 a year and you are a bona-fide taxidermist.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

mk,you're grasping now. Even your analogies suck. In a capitalist society, the market dictates its own prices. If you want to pay $5 a gallon for gas, by all means go right ahead. You've been reading too many Ned Buntline novels and believng them. Law and order have always followed civilization. Unions started in the 1900's and had outlived their usefulness by 1920. If you want to charge more, get off your ass and increase your prices. The public will decide if your work is worth what you think it is. If it ISN'T you deserve no special compensation simply because "everyone else is charging that." One thing I've found out is that raising your prices is the only means of controlling your workload to any degree. If your workload is down, it's a decision as to either increasing quality or lowering prices. Prices tend to be a personal issue and I don't need you or "big brother" telling me how to run my business.

17. woodmanDan

woodmanDan New Member

With thoughts like these it's no wonder(and a shame)that taxidermists are not treated as professionals.

It is our job as potential clients to decide who we hire, what we pay,and where.Your job to turn out what you promise;and frankly there are few who take the responsibility serious enough to be true pro's.

I know it sucks to have to prove yourself everytime out(I have to also as a cabinetmaker),but that's life as a craftsman,artist,etc.

Shipping and the internet have made it a small world boys and girls....

Dan

18. mt

mt New Member

WHY BOTHER WAH WAH WAH !!!!!!!!!!! :'(

19. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Guys, the reason I brought up having some type of regulation is that there will be alot of people willing to "hop on board with whatever idea" , but like some said some may refuse and others just getting into the business wouldn't know where to start. I also agree whatever regulations should not be brought upon us by some government beuarocrat and should be a private organization. We have some of those already at the state and national level.

What if the law dictated that in order to be a taxidermist to do work for the public each year you had to be a member of your state organiztion AND attend the show at least once whether a day or the full 3days!? - granted someone might be on vacation or sick or some type of emergency and we could work around that obviously and cut them some slack as they would be a member of the organization-so it wouldn't matter anyways...

Not only would that make our state organizations stronger but the taxidermy quality would improve, The states organizations would have better shows and be able to afford the best judges and put on some really good seminars, etc. Also within that each state could go as far as they wanted if they wanted to enforce rules or law based on votes from each of the members- a democracy like it is today. If the people voted for something and it didnt work out then next year it could be voted down. Just like how we get our ballots in the mail ANYWAYS when we decide to vote whoever for president, vice president etc of these boards.

If i'm mistaken if you are a member of the National Taxidermists Association there is a list of eleven codes of conduct that one should follow- granted i don't know if its taken seriously but they are good guidlines anyways.
    Taxidermists Code of Conduct as adopted by the NTA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I will obtain and renew as necessary all applicable licenses for the types of taxidermy work in which I am engaged.
    2. I will fully cooperate with State, Federal, and Provincial wildlfe officials and will abide by and advise my clients of all applicable conservation and game laws, statutes and regulations, and I will not condone their violation.

3. I will maintain a clean and orderly shop with modern equipment to provide professional service for my clients.

4. Rates for services will be clearly defined to clients before work is accepted. I will not misrepresent rates, services, nor otherwise mislead prospective clients through false or ficticious advertising. I will at all times conduct my operation and services in an ethical and business-like manner.

5. Barring unforseen conditions, all work will be done in a professionally accepted manner and within the time period specified to the customer.

6. I will make every effort to fully acquaint my clients with the true potential of their trophies to avoid possible disappointment with the finished product.

7. I will refuse to alter or falsify trophy characteristics. I will replace broken portions of a trophy only at the express direction of the client.

8. I will not accept as work any trophy or material that appears to be in violation of legal statutes or commonly defined rules of sportsmanship.

9. I will at all times provide for the safety and proper handling of specimens entrusted to me for trophy preparation and I will honestly advise clients of any conditions that might endanger their trophies or their quality.

10. I will instruct clients in proper care of their finished tropies to ensure lasting satisfaction. I will also offer instructions to clients on proper field care of game to ensure future trophy quality.

11. I will not cast or reproduce any form or part thereof except my own, sculpted by me or my employee(s), unless I have the specific permission to do so from the originator of the form.

20. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Depends if the state is the "right to work" kind.
    All kinds of legal issues.