1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

lowballers and hacks hurting the industry?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mk, Dec 6, 2007.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Do you realize that once you put forth a "mandate" you will have every Tom, Dick & Mary starting their own organizations in an effort to enrich themselves on this new "tax". That would be the worst decisive move you could make.

Hell, less than a 1/3 of all doctors are members of the AMA....and you expect dermist's to exceed that number with positive results.

Matt, I AM not starting a arguement with you so PLEASE DO NOT take it as being intended that way. But I notice in so many of your posts you bring the passing of a "LAW" into the equation of what will help the Taxixdermy industry. I know you mean well, but whe you use the word "regulation & law" yyou have just lost 95% of your audience. You also stated that it "should not be brought upon us by some government beuarocrat and should be a private organization"....but you started the very next paragraph with "What if the law dictated that in order to be a taxidermist to do work for the public each year you had to be a member of your state organiztion AND attend the show at least once whether a day or the full 3days!?" So you don't want government intervention, but you want a law ???????????????????????? You can not make a law enforcing membership of a worker unless you get down to union level. So everything you are proposing calls for A) Government intervention in our industry -or- B) Unionization of our industry. No disrespect, but people with those type of thoughts scare hell out of me!

Matt, I appreciate what you are trying to do, but whatever plan you are scheming up please leave me the hell out of it. I will fight tooth and nail anybody that tries to bring inept regulation into our industry. You keep saying you want to do it for the industry, well don't do it for MY industry...leave me the hell alone, I am fine & want no part of what you are proposing and do not want to waste more of my time fighting to put down unwanted regulation brought into our/my industry.

2. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Mike I don't want some union run thing, I honestly dont know what i want, but i do know something needs to change in the eyes of the public and also to help us taxidermists out. and I don't know what the hell I'm trying to get across, these are merely ideas of trying to better the idustry and making it a legit profession. I wish we as taxidermists could be that one day.

Like you mentioned yeah some doctors aren't members of the AMA, But they were required to go through 8 yrs of medical school. We aren't, There is absolutely no regulation at all NONE.

3. Dont you all think this dead horse has been beaten enough? Everyone has stated their opinion on it several times allready and no one has changed anyones mind yet and probably never will, so why not just charge what you want, let everyone else charge what they want, go and get some work done instead of beating this dead horse anymore. Get it through your heads, IT AINT GONNA CHANGE, everyone is gonna charge what they want no matter what everyone else charges.

4. michael p.

And you seriously believe REGULATION of any type is the answer ????

Matt i'm gonna give you some advice....take it or leave it. First, stop worrying about what everybody else is doing. Use hacks to your advantage, I do. Produce quality mounts and build respectable clientelle you possibly can. People with money like to brag....give them a product they can brag about. Sell yourself. I had a customer come in with a european & shoulder mount last week, he left with 2 shoulder mounts on his work order! It took 10 or 15 minutes of convincing, but he left with that extra $525 balance on his work order and it felt good! ;D Sell yourself Matt!

Matt, as i've said I have 3 Taxidermists here that advertise $275, $300 & $350 shoulder mounts respectively. Now I do something that they don't nor can afford to....I take the time to detail whether large or small every form. When the client comes in I tell them "I want you to look at this mount from 1 foot away, not 10 feet. I draw them closer & show them the nodules, eyes and ears that are all airbrushed. I point out the little things. What that does for me is raises their expectations. They now grade the appearance of the deer of finer detail instead of 10 feet away & 9 times out of 10 if they've had their deer mounted by somebody who does not pay attention to detail and it is in their home they will start looking at that deer in a negative light & start really appreciating finer work. It is my way of pointing out bad Taxidermy work with out ever saying a negative word about another Taxidermist. I have people ask well why are you so much higher, I say "well because I take the time to do this, this & this" and point it out....and follow up with "I take my time, not rush things out the door so it is lifelike as possible"

Matt always................. even if you feel like you've drown, never wear a frown in front of your customers. A confident happy person will take their time, a frustrated broken person will rush so he doesn't have to deal with it...at least that's what body language will portray..

And last but not leeast, NEVER EVER bad mouth any other Taxidermist in front of your customer. That shows lack of experience & a need to employ other means besides your work to get ones business.

Matt, this industry is not broken & there needs to be no laws passsed nor regulation implemented to make you succeed. You are in charge of your destiny and no amount of government will make you a better Taxidermist nor a better business man. You are dealt the cards you have, bluff & go all in......you might be surprised.

5. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Mike, I agree with exactly what you just said. And I make a commitment to do all those things with customers, etc. I went to a taxidermy school not too far from me 6 yrs ago when I first started out. Back then I knew nothing, I didn't even know how to skin an animal. The school had some local taxidermists that had been doing taxidermy for 25+years full time. They taught everyone there how to do stuff completely ass backwards, no hidepaste on forms be it lifesize or deerheads, nothing about reference pictures not even when painting fish. I mean it was bad (you can imagine what stuff looked like), but we all didn't know it till it was too late, some might still be doing it that way today. The Schools aren't even regulated if it were these kinds of situations wouldn't happen and this school wanted to be the official school of the NTA! :eek:

After that I still didn't know what the hell I was doing price wise or mounting, but it got my foot in the door, a few months later I was up in wisconsin. I met with a gentlemen up there and still do a couple times a year. He suggested that I go see Joe Meder on whitetails, as he knew about the school and the rep it had, etc. I did. and It opened up my eyes. Since then each year I made a choice to go get some training by other taxidermists that offered it and were doing world class work. The only way to improve your quality is too get the best education you can afford or if you have time to experiment on your own, you'll only be as good as your teacher if you don't, and yes everyone has there one levels of talent and ability.

With my ideas I mentioned, IT will still be up to that individuals motivation, determination and drive that determines their success. This is not a business where you will still get paid laying around on your butt, you have to produce something, you have to have good customer relations, etc.

What I have seen and like you, the hacks and lowballers, hurting this industry, because the general public views it as such. I had this guy come in yesterday with a King salmon, worked at Edward Jones, He looked his nose down upon me like I was some sort of Janitor and questioned my ability to do the Job. I talked with that guy for a freeking hour. Explained everything to him and why. and told him if you like what you see on the wall here in the shop, etc. If not theres others out there.

I have people that think there deerhead is the only deerhead I have to work on. lol. I got people that are amazed that I'm doing this fulltime. I got people that are upset of their last experience with a taxidermist and think I'm that way also. When people say, "oh what do you do for work" I say "I'm a taxidermist", and you can imagine the various responses I've had.
    -What's that?
    -Ewww dead animals
    -I thought that was only a hobby
    -Do you do anything else?

I'm just sick and tired of it. There is no respect at all. And I'm blaming the lowballers and hacks, I don't want them. Sorry. Yeah so what if they make my work look good or make me look good when i get something to my customers on time and looks good. I'm sorry I just can't take it anymore.

6. mt

mt New Member

I dont want to be on mk s island or anything else . to much time on his hand to write this much,are you a real taxi d ? I AM GOIN BACK TO WORK.. ::)

7. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Seriously? I'm not one of those guys that HAS TO WORK on the weekends. lmao. have a good one ;).

8. mt

mt New Member

Thats why ya have so much time on your hands, I dont have time to write a book on something thats not goin to change, and Im just part time .huh ;D

9. FBI .IN.Gov

FBI .IN.Gov New Member

Hello, To whom it may concern,
    I am FBI Agent Tom Randle. I am investigating the report of attempted price fixing by a number of taxidermists on this site. As you may know . Price fixing is a serious offense. It may behove anyone that has any information about this matter to call you local FBI office.
    I will be getting in touch with you. But if you call us first we may go easier on you.
    Thank you , Agent Tom Randle

10. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

:p

11. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Matt...seriously..have you considered working for another studio so you dont have to put up with customers & the hassle of running a business. You could then put all your energy into your art.

12. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Bill, I did do some work at a large studio near me. Thing is I like being self-employed, pros and cons like anything else, but that still isn't going to change this industry. Heck even some of these "large" studios are laying off employees. :-\

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Then for the LIFE of me, I don't understand what the hell your gipe is mk? You want your cake and eat it too??? You "like being self-employed" and then you want the "government" to set requirements for you to do business. You've lost all the little credibility you had in your argument now.

14. michael p.

Ummmm M.K., so is Dell, Motorola, all 3 major US car companies, 90% of all major U.S, factories. How does Taxidermy going through the EXACT trend the rest of America is going through have anything to do with "lowballers and hacks" ???

You're really starting to discredit your arguement with that lame ass excuse/statement.

15. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    George, michael- i`m done, I`ve said all I`ve had to say on the issue any more and I`m just repeating myself. :-\

16. michael p.

Thank you! :)

17. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    can i get in the last word please. LMAO

18. michael p.

Sure, what is it ???

19. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member