1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

shrinkage on LMB

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ga Boy, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Ga Boy

Ga Boy these are my children

I just mounted 7 large mouth a couple weeks ago and I uncarded them and noticed one of them had shrinkage from the dorsal fin to the head I went In threw the back eye opening and popped it back up.But I was wondering If I could use some type of caulking to fill thevoid or if there was a better solution?

2. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    may have to rehydrate the whole fish in that area anyways and you could probably use fish fill and shove it in where the low spots were, that or start completely over, or fill in the depressions with apoxie sculpt and scale texture over that.

3. Ga Boy

I went through the eye opening with a heavy gage wire to the void and pryed the skin back out smooth can't even tell . I was wondering what could be injected through to fill the void?

4. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

mache?

5. Try 100% pure silicone it will set up pretty fast and will fill the void very well. However you might want to put a small hole at the other end to allow any air out when you inject the silicone

6. Ga Boy

Thanks ccook63 thats what I was thinking of doing but was,nt sure what kind of chaulk to use. Sorry took so long to get back but me and my son were out dove hunting.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

mache'...

8. Ga Boy

I have considered mache but I would have to remove existing mache out to repack the whole head area I feel like the silicone will do the trick. Thanks for all of the advice.