1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Prairie Rattler

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Jim B, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I don't get to mount snakes much these days unless I make time to do my own but here's a fresh mounted 35" prairie rattler.[​IMG]

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Great looking snake Jim! Is that a commercial form or carved? I'll be mounting a 55" canebrake(timber) this afternoon myself. Thanks for sharing the mount.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Jim,.....

That is really nice, but......you always do good reptiles.

:)

Kerby...

4. Nicfe work jim as usual. great pose. i assume you carved it?

5. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

That is a form that I sculpted and molded some years ago for a timber rattler.It was sculpted so the second loop of the body,behind the head, wrapped around the eye socket of a small whitetail buck skull,lying on it's side.Timber rattlers don't raise up like this snake so I used the deer skull to get the front end a few inches above the ground.I had to alter to shorten the form 1 1/2 inches and raise the front end more for the prairie rattler.Sad to say,I can't find that old mold and this was the last one I had laying around.Not a very good mold anyway and I had the front end a little too beefy but rasped it down for this one.Thanks for the kind words guys.Pyeager,post some pics of that"Canebrake".I had to say it.LOL

6. ace man

ace man New Member

looks great Jim you going to make a base for it ?

7. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

No. I did it for another taxidermist and he's putting it with a badger and building the base.

8. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Thanks Tracy.

9. how much do you charge ? i have a 60inch timber , have form that will have to be lengthed. i have already put in the mouth insert . just don't have time to mount . appreciate it. chris brown