1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WT tanning ?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Mason, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Mason

Mason Active Member

Hi all,

Anyone ever use the tanning method by, Whitetail designer Systems, Inc. ?
    If so, how'd it turn out and what is the quality of the tan? Wanting to try all the methods that are tried and true by folks on here before We make any opinions. Been using Dp and have been happy with it , now that we know how to flesh and thin properly that is ! Trying Krowtann on the next few deer. Also going to try sure cure.
    We see everyone here has their own opinions on each method used. So we figured we'd give them all a whirl that others thought were worth using. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mason (Ron and Linda)

2. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I have not tried the Whitetail Designer System so I can only comment on the ones I've tried - EZ100, Krowtann, and liqua tan. I always end up going back to the EZ100, not really for the ease of use but for the quality and the cost. For a beginning tanner, it would be easiest to use Krowtann since it is really just everything in one step.

With the EZ100, you have more steps (salt, rehydrate, pickle, neautralize, tan, and oil) but I always end up with a very stretchy, white, pleasant smelling hide, plus it is most cost effective if you are tanning many capes. I tan 5-6 capes at a time in ten gallons (you need atleast 2 gal. per cape, depending on cape size). I have measured it out and a 1 lb. ($4.50) bag of EZTan will mix somewhere around 30 gallons. With a $24 bottle of Krowtann I can only make ten gallons. It literally would take $75 worth of Krowtann to do what $4.50 worth of EZtan will do. Of course you have to buy your pickle too, but a $11 quart of Safetee Acid will mix at least 45-50 gallons (leaving a little extra for pH adjustment).

Just a little information for you, since if you're going to go to all the work tanning hides yourself rather than sending to a tannery, I feel that it should at least be cost effective!

3. Mason

Mason Active Member

Thank you Amy,

Thats exactly the kind of information we are looking for. Didn't want to start a (My ways the best way thread again) Just some insight on different techniques from folks.Not after whats easy. Looking for best results. We really would like to keep all our work in house. That way if it gets ******* up. We are to blame no one else.Can also say WE did it . Not just parts of it.

Thanks again Amy, Anyone else want to add please do!

Mason (Ron and Linda

4. im4dux

im4dux New Member

I exclusively use whitetail designer systems. The tan is excellent and the hair quality is unbelievable. You get good stretch, it smells good, it is not toxic....etc. Highly recommend it! If you want any more info please don't hesitate to call me. I will be more than happy to tell you more about the quality of the tan.
    Dane Bisel
    740-590-4702

5. Jerry C

Jerry C a good liberal is hard to find

I have been using JRTS ever since George said he used it. I am very happy with the ease of tanning and the stretch.
    As another taxidermist on here suggested, you sometimes can even skip the pickle, if the hide is fresh. I've tried that too with success. George may be cantankerous at times, but it's worth listening to what he has to say.

6. Mason

Mason Active Member

I agree Jerry C,

On the listening to George. But I will probably post questions about every tanning curing preserving agent there is LOL.
    Gotta see what we may be missing or not missing if thats the case. And thanks for the tip on the JRTS Jerry.

Mason (Ron and Linda)

7. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i am the krowtann spokesman (as everyone tells me) but if glen conley says it will do this or that then believe him IT WILL!!!!!!!!!!!

amy great post

8. Mason

Mason Active Member

It's next on the list oldterryr!
    Figure now's the time to experiment. I have several capes on hand.

Mason

9. John W.

John W. New Member

Use the whiskey tanning technique.You tan the hide from the outside while tanning yourself on the inside and everything looks great......that is, till the next day!!L.O.L. ;D