1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

squirrels ain't hard

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by BrokenArrow, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

OK, you want honesty. Here ya go: I wanted a website. What's wrong with that? I didn't want it just to have it, I wanted it to promote my business and felt that the internet was one of the best ways to get my name out.

I'm a taxidermist, so I'm a cheap-a$$ and I wanted to do it myself (hmm, part of the reason I got into taxidermy to begin with) which meant I had to learn how to do it - so it's been a learning experience, one that has paid for itself in more ways than one (I've also built a few sites for others and been paid for it). Hubby told me I couldn't do it because I knew practically nothing about the computer, and dang sure nothing about html and I didn't have site builder program, all I had was an Idiot's Guide to Creating a Web Page. If there is an ego trip in this for me, it would not be my taxidermy work (there is no need for an ego when it's not that great) but the fact that I taught myself more about the computer and built the site myself (not that it's that great either, but you have know idea how computer stupid I was, LOL).

The hardest part other than the "becoming somewhat computer literate" part was talking about myself, selling myself if you will. When it came to that part, I was completely lost, but there is no point putting it online if you don't try to sell yourself a little anyway, so I just stated facts, they are what they are, good or bad.

I'm not worried about his "45 minute squirrel". I can't do one in 45 minutes, it takes me longer than that to skin one of those tree rats. There went my ego, popped it like a balloon, LOL.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thanks Glen. As usual, that was very enlightening.

Look guys, I'm not the enemy. I enjoy looking at your websites as well. I can tell you right up front that my carrier subscription is listed on my tax return as I do most of my research right here on the web. I don't know what I did without it (other than wear out several sets of World Book Encyclopedias and subscribe to every bit of media I could). The web has saved me thousands of dollars and even more hours traveling to libraries.

And you're right, if you CAN get customers that way, I'm sincerely glad for you, but as Mdupertuis said, I have an established customer base and I'm sure that DOESN'T make me as objective to the subject as I should be.

Oh, and stop worrying about losing your train of thought. There'll be another one coming by in a few minutes anyway.

And Becky, you need to go back and reedit your response. You were entirely too easy on me. I guess you know I have a weak heart and couldn't take the stress of so much abuse, though, don't you? ROTFLMAO

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

4. George

Cole, I'm sure your baby is very cute. LOL I do see your point however.

5. Becky P

LMAO, you're too funny George.
    Just think if it weren't for Ken and this site, most of us wouldn't even know each oither and we dang sure couldn't afford the long distance phone calls if we did.

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

They both are. ;D

7. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Hey, I like the ugly baby analogy.....I use it all the time. SPeaking of that, my son is due to be born any day now......certainly within the week. I told my wife he better be an ugly baby, or I'm going to have words with the father. LMAO

8. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

" and an incredible silence came over the masses as each of us reread the post..... several times...each thinking quietly in our own minds......did George just say we were right?????????? ;D ;D ;D ;)

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

He didn't mean it Bobbi, he just tires quicker than he used to. ;)

10. Becky P

He probably feels like I do when trying to talk sense into my 19 yr old, it's pointles so why bother. LOL

11. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

Becky,
    My daughter was like that, but it's strange, now that she just had her first baby that suddenly I've become a never ending spring of knowledge.
    She gave us a thank you card saying " I need your help now more than ever, thank you for being there."
    WOW if that doesn't bring tears to a mothers eyes. :'(

12. George

Cole, for once (whew), you're absolutely right. Those ARE two beautiful children. They have to get it from their mother. LOL

13. Nicnox

Nicnox Member

Wow what a visual I am getting LOL!!!!
    Well I'd just like to thank everyone for making my day with this topic!!
    You know its guna be something good when there's 13 pages! And to think all this was going on while I was over here in the UK sleeping like a baby!
    In Broken Arrows defence, he has just saved another fox from being ruined, as Ive been reading this while I should have been spending my morning fleshing a red fox of my own!(which I too, will undoubtedly not do any justice!)
    Sorry for bringing his name up again, I realise there is a new tif happening now!

Anyway Merry Christmas!!!

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

They most cetainly do. Thank you.

15. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i have started mine less ayear ago - i had to shut down internet sales cause of my cancer but i consistenly sell more than i put out - i am my own webmaster thru google - its not a big deal to builld one -

16. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

My website has helped me tremendously. I have gotten clients from out side of my state. I get a lot of people calling me that found me on the net and and want to drop there animal off. The thing I like is the ones who check out my work and already know my prices and still drop it off. I guess it is one less price shopper call. I am also one who does not have a showroom as of yet. So it helps show my work without taking up the small amount of space I have.

Todd B

17. But I like my turkey picture :'(

18. Becky P

It is a pretty turkey, just optimize him ;)

19. Actually my homepage is no where near 60 KB, it's only 6.33 kb. :( The turkey pic is less than 1kb. Maybe he's referring to my myspace page, it's probably 100 k or more lol!

20. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Codi, you and I tried to post at the same time. You knocked me off, I'll try again.

I took your photo that showed as 92 kb, and resized to what shows on my end as 14 kb. We'll see what it shows as once I post it. I also did away with the progressive. I'm on a DSL connection, and I figure anytime a site loads strangely the page is too large. Every time I have checked such out, that has always been true.

Another test would be to ask for someone with a slow dial-up to see how your pages load. That's the best way.