1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do apprentices make money

Discussion in 'Training' started by Alaska Mountin Man, Dec 11, 2007.

1. I have tryed to help a few.. they have either cost me or quit !!! ive purchased there materals and forms for them and let them have videos of what there going to mount . even spent the time to show them how, there is a fine line here !!! and when you cross that line they and you will know. I do work for other taxi guys and it took a very long time to get them to trust me and my skill level . hard work and study will make you good, and help will come to you !!! stay with it mark c

2. duff83

duff83 what i have in my heart, ill take to my grave

man im comming to apprentice w/ you... how far are you from where the stars play? lol :D ;)

3. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

Im an apprentice, I do grunt work for no pay and I'm glad to do it. Im appreciative that someone is willing to be patient and answer every stupid question I can come up with

4. RainWarrior

RainWarrior Member

No pay. It shows effort and desire plus you are giving them knowledge that will later make them money its a blessing WE don't have to pay for the taxidermy lessons like at a real school

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Making someone work for nothing just for the experiance,,,,, wow,,,,, how can someone take advantage of a student like that is heartless, and it only shows that you are cheap and take adbvantage of screwing people.
    And to work for free is just as stupid, if you are a slow learner, your cheap teacher will have you work forever as a slave.

6. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I see your point Mr T,and that may apply in some cases,I wouldnt work anyone for free myself.
    On the other hand ...........I have hired inexperienced people to train on job and I found that the time I took to teach them and go over incorrect work that they had done just slowed down my production which decreased my money,so I was paying some one and they was not increaseing my production,which is the whole point in paying someone.
    If they were just sweeping floors and doing the grunt work then thats another matter because then they are saving me time.................
    Peace pay could probably correct that............If you get them were they can prep a form or what ever task you need done to the point that you dont need to do it again then pay them for whatever task they do...............Tom

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, it seems that most people forget what the LEGAL definition of an "apprentice" is as well as the dictionary one. Let me refresh your memory: "APPRENTICE - One bound by legal agreement to work for another for a specific amount of time in return for instruction in a trade, are or business." That little phrase "in return for" has no mention of money.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Define apprentice vs. shop rat, many end up doing chores and grunt work as part of the package, they get taken advantage of. More paying of "dues" then getting trained.

The shop owner doesn't want to do their own dirty work, so they say to the apprentice,
    " If your going to start your own business some day, there is going to be some s hit work, and you might as well learn right now what it's going to be like, , so you are going to do my s hit work for free."

9. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Doesn't any job you get that you are new to have a degree learning to it? But you are still getting paid to learn the system of the company and sometimes the job itself.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It's called today, on the job training.

11. George

Uh Wildside, try telling that to any medical doctor. There, they call it "internship" and the first 2 years you work "free". Same goes with any job. Ask your barber how much he got paid for cutting hair before he got licensed. Most technical jobs require a modicum of education before being hired and today, MOST jobs list their positions as "EXPERIENCE REQUIRED".

12. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

George- what about apprentice plumbers, electricians or any job in the skilled trades industry. A doctors internship is still part of his schooling, just like a student teacher. The student teacher is actually paying college tuition to do their student teaching.

13. George

HEY, don't tell me. Tell that to the dictionary. LOL

14. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Hey George look up the word "symmetrical" ROFLMAO!

15. George

Smart assed kids got not respect any more.

16. RainWarrior

RainWarrior Member

I wasn't paid but when it came time to mount my trophies my teacher never charged me for material If i wanted a skull or something I could have it. It was much more meaningful to me this way. I didn't mind working without pay. I volunteer at the world center for birds of prey 3x a week but my life isnt all about making money I just do what do so long as I enjoy doing it.

17. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

But you can't pay the rent or fill your gas tank with enjoyment. LOL

18. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

but thats what crappy day jobs are for

19. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

My "apprentice" made $575 last week :-\ :'(

20. Hey MP, which one of them girls in the picture is your "apprentice" ;)