1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do apprentices make money

Discussion in 'Training' started by Alaska Mountin Man, Dec 11, 2007.

1. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

im lucky to get gas money :/

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Neither, I pay my apprentice too much to afford the bail money for cuttin 1 of them ;) ;D LOL

That just plain sucks, the person if you work IMO should atleast compensate you fairly.

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Do like I did and "moonlight" I found a shop to aprentice in when I was working over the road I would work 8-12 hrs a day and instead of going back to the hotel and being bored I would go there and work I started off skinning heads and fleshing on a beam. When we got caught up and started mounting I prepped forms and sat and watched him mount. And after a few times sitting in I brought my own capes He split his and I split mine, he and when we mounted he mounted his and I mounted mine. After a few mounts he let me start prepping customer capes when I wasn't great at it but knew when to stop and have him help Eventually I was prepping and mounting some of his customer deer and he would do the final detailing. And eventually I did a few start to finish. Was the best education of my life. Was I a tired pup from working all those hrs at my day job and then working in the shop till 11-12 everynight you bet! Was it better than PAYING someone 6 k for a week long class ? YOU BET! Since then I have me 2 other guys from here and when I was working in their towns I worked ( and hung out lol ) in their shops as well and never made a dime. The last guy though did give me a hell of a deal on 250 lbs of salt and some cool ass driftwood and also gave me a nice muley rack too but I would have never expected it. I hate to agree with George because it makes his head swell but an APRENTICE is an aprentice........what you guys are talking about is entry level workers.

Let me ask you this? Why would you pay someone to train them when it slows you down and as soon as they figure out how to do things they are gone and on their own?

4. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Harley you are wise beyond you years bud. There is a fine line when paying an apprentice, if they complain or just want to do there stuff then do not pay but if they are making you money then pony up and pay the man, but on the other hand if you have to tell some dumass 10 times how to skin or flesh than down the road they go.

5. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I have had some good mentors ;)

6. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Theres isn't much difference between an apprentice and an entry level employee doing the grunt work or learning from the ground up. The only thing I see different is an apprentice comes to you looking for experience and when you need a little extra help in the shop you find someone to do whatever you can teach them to help you out. When they come looking they are an apprentice and when you hire they are an employee. You train both, but maybe in a different way. I have heard of some that have went the apprentice way and found out they were just being used as no pay labor.

7. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I say I am not really too worried about what type of agreement is made as long as the apprentice or worker is not a minor or suffering from a mental disorder that keeps them from making their own decisions. If the guy next door wants to work for free to learn, more power to him. I wouldn't, nor would I have someone work for free for me.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

And don't forget who lent you a video once.

9. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I havn't forgot LOL

10. bbuckles

bbuckles New Member

I'm new to this site and i am very impressed with how kind most people are. That being said its a shame none of you people that pay for the help they get dont live around the southern Illinois area. Heck i am a department manager in a large retail chain and dont get paid that and i work my but off for work i dont even enjoy. i would love to do taxidermy jobs for that kind of pay. that would be great. i just do it here and there for fun.

11. jasonb

Buckles we just do it for the chits and giggles ourselves.LOL

12. it all seems like fun when you first start dont it !!!!!!!!!!! and then its work just like the stuff you quite to do this.. a job is a job.. but you have to enjoy your job to want to stay at it.. ive helped others in my shop. learned a lesson from it good luck mark c

13. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I've been watching this because I have had several people recently wanting to come "help out" so they can learn taxidermy. I have said no to all of them. I pay all my employees.
    Lately, with the economy so bad, I have wondered if I shouldn't change my thinking. I wouldn't mind showing someone how to do things like antler mounts, for a share of the profit. I wouldn't mind letting someone else save capes and sell them, I throw away many good capes that could be sold. I wouldn't even mind teaching that person how to cape the deer, and buying the supplies, and using my freezer space, in exchange they could cape out some of my deer.
    But I haven't done it. I could produce more income, with the right person, but I can't find the right person even when I am paying them. How can I expect to find someone who is motivated enough to produce their own income?

14. Auggie

Auggie Startem young

Well it is just over a year since I last posted in this topic. I still have the same guy coming in on average one or two nights a week. I would guess 4-8 hours a week. He has moved up to putting a few things together under my supervision. He is still unwilling to take any pay. He also has started taking in a bit of customer work for himself. He is making some of the same mistakes I made as a beginner (and most of you as beginners did). He is not quite ready for it but knows he has me as a safety net. So now I have to ask, who is being used? I allow him to work on this stuff in my shop. Offer to help him with it and so on. Now I know the answer to the question and if I felt either of us was being taken advantage of I would put a stop to it.
    Just for fun I ran some #'s. Lets say he was here 8 hours all 52 weeks of the last year. Which he wasn't. But just for the sake of #'s we can say he was. That is 416 hours. At a pay rate of $10 per hour which is pretty good for grunt/entry level work in this area. That is $4160.
    Now when I went to school it consisted of 405 hours. Roughly. 9 weeks, 45 hours per week. I spent more than double that by the time it was all said and done ten years ago. It included all my supplies and fuel to get there and so on.
    So he paid nothing to learn and I payed for most of his supplies. He has learned more of the detail stuff than I did while attending school. So not only has he learned the basics under me for zero out of pocket cost, but he did it for much less. Even if his time would have been worth $10 hour.
    He saved me the $4160. I saved him most likely close to $10,000. Pretty fair trade off in my opinion. Especially if I was the one learning.

15. jasonb

He's taking customers???? It's time to give him the boot and if he has worked with you for a year and is still making beginner mistakes when he has a pro to help him, than he is arrogant as well and may never learn. I he is working on his stuff in YOUR shop then charge him rent.

16. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Nah that is pretty much what I did I would get my mentors work done and work on mine. He wanted me to bring my work in so I could practice with my chit and not his customers. LOL I'm sure it's a similar situation here

17. jasonb

18. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

My take on this, and I can't wait till you all yell at me...

An entry level position at any other job is a paid position. WHy should taxidermy be any different? I'll take a stab at it, because 90% of taxidermists are morons and don't charge enough to pay themselves a good wage. And you know i'm right. How could someone afford to pay someone when they're making minimum wage? If I ever had anyone in my shop doing "work" for me like skinning and fleshing, you're damn right i'd pay them. WHen are taxidermists gonna smarten up and treat this like a legitimate industry?

19. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

No argument here.

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I 2nd that motion.