1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Albino Buck

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Bill, Nov 1, 2006.

1. definetally already mounted and posed

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It's not posed. These two pictures are of the same deer. Unless someone has invented a really nifty, bendable, poseable form that you can re-pose after it's mounted. The antlers look the same in these two different pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. WT

WT Member

texas
    Don't you worry about someone stealing your trail camera???? LOL

4. WT

WT Member

texas
    Don't you worry about someone stealing your trail camera???? LOL

5. Yeah but its mouth and ears look different in both pics also. How could they bend the legs so far if it was mounted?

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I know of so many large white and/or albino deer, I could buy into the idea that this buck, heavy as he is, either doesnt participate in breeding, thus the size, or is in captivity and photoshop put him on the highway. The ONLY thing I wonder is why the photo perspective is from the grass way over in the shoulder of the road, most would photgraph that deer right from the side of the road at the vehicle, for fear of spooking it? Its definitely not a mount though. I guess Im not as suspecting of this, as we have white deer here in NY, so its not as much of a novelty. Oddly enough, all my deer are brown, I have bred exclusively from these genetics for many years, yet last spring we had a piebald buck fawn born. Aint that something?

7. It cannot be the same deer. One is an albino the other is not. The one is the woods has pink ears, hooves, and more than likely pink nose ans\d eyes like an albino. The roadside deer had black hooves, dark inner ear color, black lipline, black nose, etc etc. Different deer. Even the color of the hide is fdifferent. One is a dirty gray color, the other bright white

8. duckfeathers

duckfeathers New Member

Hello. Just enjoyed reading all this. Yes there are pure white deer in the woods. But don't kill white buck unless you want some misfortune. Check into Pennsylvania accident records. You'll find a correlation between serious accidents and killing a pure white buck. This doesn't mean fenced in white deer like the Seneca Falls air field (where they were stocked years ago) but wild born pure white bucks. Check the record and you'll find a hunter named Alex Smith dropped a white buck in its tracks but never got to see it. His shooting eye was poked out by a tree branch as he excitedly rushed toward the dead deer. Then there was Bob Jamison who slipped on snow and cut his femoral artery after gutting out a white buck. He survived but never hunted again. And of course it was big news when Johnny Robin, the notorious south Philadelphia poacher, shot a pure white buck. As he looked at it he heard angry voices shouting and started to run. While being chased through the woods he tripped, fell and broke his neck. He was DOA and made front page news of the big city paper. Want more. Read your states hunting accident files.

9. edd263

edd263 New Member

I was stationed at Seneca Army Depot during the mid 1960's and saw many white bucks like the one that is pictured here. The ones at the depot were not albino but were hybrids with brown eyes etc. Possibly in later years they did have some albino ones but when I was there they were all hybrids. They held a one day hunt each fall where only generals and other high ranks were brought in to do the hunting and the grunts did the driving,lol. They could only shoot the brown deer and were not allowed to shoot any of the white deer. They used to shoot about one hundred and fifty deer, both bucks and does, on that day. I can still remember one old timer white deer that had gotten so old he looked like he had two huge dog bones coming out of his skull. That was some buck. The coloring of the deer in the two photos do look different but it could just be the lighting. The deer at Seneca were like the color of the deer crossing the road. No matter, the deer in each photo are beautiful. - Ed Dandaraw

10. White animals are special sprits and are considered magical by most eastern Native American tribes. I think you are also not supposed to kill a white bison.

11. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Clearly the same deer........

The antlers are the same...it is that simple...the same deer. Copy and paste the pictures and blow them up on Paint Shop Pro and you will see.

Albinism is simple recessive. Albinism is also rather common in numerous species.

Piebald is not recessive...it is a dominant/co-dominat gene.

Leucistic is a simple recessive gene but in some species is rarer than other recessive genes.

A lot of species in the animal kingdom have albinism.....but the survival rate is lower than normal animals because they stand out.

The deer in the pic appears to be albino...which means that if he breeds a female...ALL THE OFFSPRING will be normal looking but heterozygous (het) for albinism (recessive). You can use a Punnett's Square to predict recessive outcomes...but in a nutshell here is what you can expect:

Albino x Albino = All Albino babies
    Albino x normal = All normal looking...BUT ALL 100% het for Albinism. You cannot look at an animal and tell if they are carrying a recessive gene.
    Albino x het = 50% of the offspring will be Albino, the other 50% will look normal but will be het for Albino.
    het x het = these 2 parents will look normal but are het for Albino..they will produce 25% Albino babies, 25% normal looking that will carry the Albino gene, and 50 % normals. You cannot visually tell the difference bewteen the hets and the normals.

Piebald is not a recessive gene but is dominant and having 2 parents displaying this trait increases the possibility of the babies having this trait.

Leucistic is a white animal with normal eyes and is also simple recessive.

There are numerous other simple recessive genes in the animal kingdom.

Albinism/Amelanism
    Melanism
    Hypermelanism
    Hypomelanism
    Axanthic
    Anerythristic
    etc...

Kerby...

12. Kerby if they are the same deer, then why different colored ears, lips, hoove4s, and noses in both pictures, not to mention fur color? Just curious. If Im wrong thn so be it, but the colors on the two ate totally different

13. Sea Wolf

I can't clearly see the hooves or mouth area of the deer in the woods picture. I would assume that the differences in color shading otherwise would be to the lighting and the direction of the sun hitting the animal. The antlers appeared identical. If the woods photo was taken first and the highway one soon after, it might explain why the car/picture taker was so far off the road. If they spotted the deer in the woods they might have pulled way off the road to watch. Possibly the deer came out of the woods to cross the road in front of them while they sat there. I don't think the highway pic is a posed mount. Seems to me a rather goofy pose for a rare animal to be mounted in.

14. Bill Yox

Not to disrespect Tom, its most likely a simple case of photographic and/or printing differences. No mystery here, same buck in my opinion. It MIGHT have been photoshopped from captivity but thats about it, to me. Its real behind or in front of a fence, lol! Fun to debate these things though, dont you all think?

15. wilkie

wilkie New Member

All kinds of white deer were I live but not true albino.
    http://www.senecawhitedeer.org/

16. Bill Yox

John and Ed, its funny how folks say theyre inferior too, huh? We (us three) all know about those 300lbers with big palmated antlers. I know theres some piebalds that do appear to be lacking, but its not neccessarily the rule...

17. it might be bad luck to kill one ,but i would still kill one if i had the chance ,i all ready have bad luck

18. Sea Wolf

Wilkie .. is that supposed to be a whitetail? Or is it a hybrid of some type? Never seen antlers like that before.

19. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Tom,.........

**then why different colored ears, lips, hoove4s, and noses in both pictures, not to mention fur color?**

For starters:

I only see 2 different pics on this thread.

Only one pic shows the hooves.

Only one pic shows the nose.

So you can't use those to discriminate :)

The antlers are the same...what are the odds of 2 albino deer having the exact same "unique" looking set of antlers?

I would not expect an albino deer to be white.....it lives in the woods...and it is dirty. Just wash a regular deer hide and see all the crap that comes off. The hooves are not supposed to be pink....maybe when it was first born...but not as an adult. Albino does not equate to the color of white but rather the absence of other colors. Hence different parts of the body will have different shades of white/cream etc.. when the other colors are absent.

Taking 2 different pictures at two different angles will produce two different shades of colors. Having taken over 10,000 pictures of snakes I can tell you that what I see with the naked eye and what I see in my pics are not always the same....well let's say that are RARELY the same LOL

Taking pictures of the same animal under flourescent lighting/outdoor shots/with a flash/without a flash/flash at night/flash at sunset (the best)/with a flash surpressor, etc.. will all produce different results.

It is the SAME deer that appears to be albino...and in two distinct DIFFERENT poses...that all appears natural to me.

:)

Kerby...

20. wilkie

wilkie New Member

It's just a White piebald Whitetail deer. Go to the website I posted and it shows them alive. Typically they don't have brow tines but occasionally they do and occasionally they are either freakish or palmated if they make past 1 1/2-2 1/2 which the majority don't. That rack on the one above is actually broke so it was missing a large portion of the left side. Usually all flesh tones are pink with some grey/brown/black specs or marbling. People claim their eye coloration can sometimes be blue but of all the whites I've done they have always been brown.