1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

storing birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Ratchet, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Ratchet

Ratchet New Member

This may be a silly question but I'm new to birds. If I cannot mount a duck or bird immediately how should I store it. Should I freeze the whole bird, freeze just the skin or can i tan the skin and wait until I am ready to mount it? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. clewis

clewis New Member

As with many of the things is Taxidermy, the answer distills to "it depends". There are about as many ways to "store" a bird as there are people "storing" them. If freezer space is not a problem, freezing them whole is one way to do it. How long they last is directly proportional to how well you wrap them and what you use to wrap them. The key is removing as much air as possible and keeping it out to reduce the potential of freeze drying. Also trying to use a non-frost free freezer. Wrap the bird in a plastic bag, folded so that both the legs and neck are protected (head under a wing and feet tucked up) Tape the bag and then place in a second bag and do the same thing. Skinning the bird is my poreferred way followed by washing (not necessarily degreasing yet). I then squeeze as much water out as I can, place in a vacuum bag and vacuum pack. Birds will last a very long time packaged this way - measured in years- and take very little space in the freezer. Make sure to properly label them and record key information regarding the size, length of neck and so forth. Birds can be thawed and refrozen without damage if you do so with care, including in the middle of the mounting process if you have a freezer big enough to put a partially mounted specimen in. In the end, the choice rests with you, I am sure others will share their preferred way to give you even more options. Good Luck

3. Ratchet

Ratchet New Member

Clewis, thank you. Your information has been exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks again.

4. wingman

wingman Active Member

Here is a proven method, Skin the bird as usual, basically take the carcass out, wash , then take a GOOD quality zipper zip lock, write all the pertinent info on the outside of the bag, ie species migratory info body length etc, now take the skin put it in the bag, fill the ziplock 1/2-3/4 full leave the bag open about an inch and gently bounce the bird in the bag to release any trapped airthen as you push the air out of the bag Zip it shut when the water is flowing out You may need to reopen and get more air out but it is important to get as much air out as possible, Then take the bag and lay it on a piece of small plywood in your freezer , WALLA overnite ice brick ,once frozen you can stack them very easily in your freezer, I've mounted birds that have been frozen in this manner for over 16 YEARS and they mount up like the day they were shot, I have such a hard time getting to my own stuff that this is one way I dont stress if it takes a few years to get to I know they will be fine I have a Wonderful collection/ Freezer Museum all frozen In ice, Good Luck

5. Ratchet

Ratchet New Member

Thanks Wingman sounds like good advice, I appreciate it.

6. JCGaydos

JCGaydos New Member

Just a note, if you freeze the whole bird, i like to put the bird in panty hose (bought cheap at a dollar store) before putting in a bag. The hose keeps all the feathers flat, and prevents any damage if something should be against the bird in the freezer.

Works great!