1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My VL Airbrush Gun?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by carollinacreations, Dec 12, 2007.

1. carollinacreations

carollinacreations New Member

I have a Paasche VL double action air brush. I am having trouble trying to get it to paint the fine details. I have adjusted everything I know to adjust. I operate it at about 33 psi. I am using a #1 needle. I am using Polytranspar waterbased paint. Sometimes the paint will stop up and I have to clean out the tip. I have made every adjustment for it to paint small so that I can do detail work. I have a few bass that I have had to stop painting becuause I came to the part of details and I can not my airbrush to paint the fine details, I have also had to stop on my artifical duck heads.
    Any pointers to help me acheive the fine details, I do know that this is not chinese arithmetic :)
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Carolina Creations

2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Even with a #1 tip your Paasche is not a detail airbrush. You have found that out already. The #1 tip is .55mm. If you want details you need to go to an Iwata with a .20mm tip. The smaller the tip, the finer the details, there is no other way to do it.

3. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

I have one too and have the same problems. You can lower air pressure a little bit, down to 20 or 25 and try that. Mostly the paint needs to be real thin and have some retarder in it. I can't get good detail consistently though. It still blocks up or worse - spits - a blob of paint onto your fish. Old Fart is right on about the tip size, but I don't know how that wouldn't block up just as much, being half the size. There is a lot about how good the Iwata brushes are in the Fish Taxidermy section, back a couple months ago. I don't have one though.

4. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Your clogging is usually the result of using air pressure that is too high AND not using enough retarder in your paint. My rule of thumb is "thin with retarder and clean with thinner".