1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanning a wild boar

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ocontoflash, Dec 13, 2007.

1. ocontoflash

ocontoflash New Member

I have a co-worker who is going boar hunting and was asking for prices for him and his buddies. it will be some nice income, but i have never tanned a boar b4. I use mckenzies tanning cream on all my whietails. should i figure in for sending it out, or will tanning cream work? thanks for info

2. The first thing is that the pigs have a real heavy shield on them that takes a good bit of work to get off. So price your work accordingly. You will spend a lot more time on this then a deer. I tan my pigs with McKenzie tan and then several oils, the same as I do deer. They are just a lot more work.

3. pigs are tough use very sharp knife and get a rhythm going I flesh mine on fletcher kills the blade ...get as far as you can fleshing salt real good add some degrease to your pickle and hope ! I lost a monster by not getting it done fast enough mega slip at the bullet hole then someone told me to use 50/50 denatured alcohol land water on the hair side as you go it will stop the slipping.the first one is fun mark c

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

It is all in fleshing & degreasing. Do that right & you will have no problems. If in doubt send it out.

5. ocontoflash

ocontoflash New Member

thanks for all the info,it will be helpful weeks to come. i will also purchase a video or dvd. if anyone recommends a certain one feel free to give me a shout. thanks again.

6. try WASCO a-z sholder mount with rick carter great dvd will give you all you need {except the work you will be doing }have fun this dvd is worth every penny i spent on it mark c

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

It's worth it just to watch the skill level. This is the most comprehensive video I've ever seen.

8. John W.

John W. New Member

Mark C gave some good advice,get the video you'll be glad you did-topnotch is all I can say about the tape. ;)

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

The only thing is he makes it look so easy, especially removing the armor plating. Seriously though, it's clear he knows his stuff. His is the only video I've seen where he shows you how he does it AND an alternate way (Bondo ears, vs. liners; replacement nose vs. natural). Just one more reason why I respect him as a taxidermist.

10. FYI i recently did one for a friend and i will charge more (Alot more) for the next one. It was a royal pain in the arse! It took several hours to flesh that damn thing. i could bury my knife in the fat, and not see the back of my blade!!!