1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by newguy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. newguy

newguy New Member

I have Bill Adkins taxidermy dvd. it shows him mounting a deer head after fleshing, he doesn't mention anything about tanning first. will this work or not? He washes the hide in lysol and dish washing liquid, dries it then mounts.

2. countryboy36

countryboy36 New Member

ohio
    i would say he used dry preserve after he did the washing of the cape and yes this way it would work but ya just cant put a plain cape on the form it will rot

3. shawnee

shawnee New Member

Yes he uses dry preserve... I have the same dvd....

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

There is more then one way to skin a cat, and even more ways to mount a deer. You need to see other videos, lots of other videos so you are not locked down to one way of putting a deer together. One video is one persons opinion on how to do it. Buy a few others and watch them, then sell them. However, yes, you should tan or use DP at the very least on everything. There are some very good videos/DVD's out there on mounting, and there are some poor ones. Take something out of each video and make your own process. Watching only one video to learn with is like taking a one tined fork to a picnic.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Actually country boy, you CAN just mount it. Didn't say you should, but you certainly CAN mount it with no treatment.

Remember Glens commentary about the thickness of the epidermal layer? Well, if the hide is clean and the flesh removed, there's really not much there to spoil or rot the hide. Rawhide actually IS raw hide and before the early Indians learned about using ashes (lye) to make the hair fall out, the skin was simply scraped (shaved) of hair. After all, a road kill often becomes a sail cat after the flesh has been mooshed away by tires and the skin dries.

6. bradc

bradc New Member

please dont try george indian method, he is joking, this might have worked then but we have evolved a bit find yourself a good tannery

7. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

George you should have really explained the term "sail" cat? A lot of younger generations may not have had the experience of picking up a "sail" cat or rabbit and sailing it out across a field like a Frisbee! LOL

8. newguy

newguy New Member

thanks for the reply guys. when you say dp are talking about borax?

9. George

No, newguy, we're talking Dry Preservative. Big difference. DP may have some borax in it, but borax doesn't have all that DP has in it.

10. countryboy36

countryboy36 New Member

ohio
    well i guess ya could gorge but your right i would not want to either.

11. newguy

newguy New Member

thanks for the help guys

12. New guy stay thick skinned. Some of us are going to bark at you. Keep reading the forum and don't be afraid to ask questions (stupid or not). We all started out dumb as doornails. A few of us had to figure it out on our own because of the times. Times have changed for the better. When I was younger I was dying to talk to another taxidermist. Nobody talked then. Enjoy this forum, it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Good luck. Frank.

13. booboo

booboo New Member

NOT A REPLY BUT, A QUESTION CAN DRY PRESERVATIVE TAKE THE PLACE OF PICKLING?

14. jerrystaxidermyhunter

jerrystaxidermyhunter get stuffed at jerrys

no it can not

15. booboo

booboo New Member

IF YOU DON'T MIND, WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU ONLY USE DRY PRESERVATIVE AFTER FLESHING?

16. George

Booboo, that's the actual idea behind Dry Preservative. You ONLY put dry preservative on a hide after it's been fleshed (and washed, of course) and then you mount in. Nothing esle, just DP.

17. booboo

booboo New Member

THANK YOU, GEORGE I'VE DONE 3 SHOULDER MOUNTS THAT WAY AND, I WAS THINKING I HAD MADE A HORRIBLE ERROR.