1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

preserving velvet with Turpentine

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by colinb, Dec 17, 2007.

1. I read on here where someone used Turpentine to preserve velvet. Does any one recall or used this method. Does it work and will it change the color of the velvet?

2. the last thing I would use to preserve velvet is to use turpentine. That is about as logical as using anti freeze for snake skins. Get yourself some preservez it and inject those antlers correctly according to the instructions. If you live in a dry climate you can also get them freeze dried. I would not recommend this method though if you live in a humid climate like the South or close to any coast.

3. Trotax

Trotax Member

Im not saying it works or it doesnt, but a friend of mine says he knows a guy in canada who does velvet caribou with turpentine all the time and it works great. Would love to hear some more input on this. Thanks, Steve

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Steve, tell your friend he's FOS. This silly assed suggestion is like a hemmorhoid that keeps flaring up on this site. Turpentine is distilled pine tar. It is used to thin oil paints for artists and used by foresters to clean the blades of pitch on tree cutting saws and devices. It is an oil base and as such will simply make the velvet slough into a greasy messy glop. Velvet is living skin tissue and injecting it with any type of petroleum product is sheer lunacy. My grandmother insisted that a tablespoon full of sugar saturated with turpenting or coal oil would break up a cold. Would you give that to anyone today? I had my share and sure enough, after 5 days the cold went away. Who the hell cared if the cold was going to go away after 5 days if I didn't take ANYTHING? LMAO

5. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

geez George.......did you ever wonder about the long term residual effect of granma's llixure?.....how many colds have you had since granny spoon fed ya'?.......LMAO........a known fact is.......Turpentine particulates mixed with any type of sucrose, settle and solidify in the rectoral area of warm blooded animals and can cause "Alitosis of the blow hole".......this in turn has been known to cause a propensity of honesty, straight answers, wisdom with a Turpentine tougne and great sex!.........god bless Grandma......!...besides all that.....listen to Ms. Piggy....smooch Evelyn

6. The taxidermist who is teaching me the art uses formaldehyde or formalin ( same stuff just a commercial name). he uses a hand held squirter bottle and sprays it on. if they are really soft he also injects it. MAKE SURE YOU USE A FULL FACE RESPIRATOR AND GLOVES ETC. the formaldehyde comes as a 30 % aqueous solution. any one got any opinions?

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Next thing...turpentine is highly flammable or INflammable if you prefer.
    The smell would last a year and a half at least also.
    My daughter paints in oils and uses turp alot. I dispose of the cruddy stuff by pouring it in a pan and setting fire to it.
    Makes a nice blaze!

8. The reason I was asking I used Preserve-it on my last one, followed the direction and painted it on and it changed the color of the velvet and left a sticky residue on the velvet. I think on this one I will try some Stop-Rot.