1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Carving

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by High Country carvings, Dec 17, 2007.

1. High Country carvings

High Country carvings New Member

I started carving 3 months ago so I thought I would start posting some of my carvings. They are hand carved and airbrushed let me know what you think.

2. I think they are awesome!!!

3. Look very good to me. What kind of wood did you use?

4. High Country carvings

High Country carvings New Member

I use poplar, pine, oak or any wood that I have on hand at the time since I am going to paint it anyway I am not to picky. Then I use driftwood gathered from the river and lakes around here to mount them or.

5. Tom_n_Nash

Tom_n_Nash Nothing like an old John Deere....

duck carver here, but always planned to do a fish.. those look really nice.
    Tom

6. You ever tried using Basswood or Tupelo? Those are what I love using for carving. They are great woods to work with and both hold detail really well.

7. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Very nice work HCC. I can't imagine the hours you spent on them. Beautiful. Please forgive me if what I'm going to say sounds...well um, harsh...because I haven't carved a fish from wood...only done skin mounts & reproductions. I don't know all the nuances of carving and yours do look very pretty...

Did you have good reference pictures? Also please forgive my lack of knowledge on fish...what specific species of trout were you going for?

If it was rainbow, I might change the leading edge of the fins...the white stripe on them...here's a picture. http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/education/ExoticSpecies/rainbowtrout.htm Just my personal preference...but I like the white leading edge.

Did you make your spots with a sharpie? They're perfectly spaced...maybe a little too perfectly? I think the spots on the fins are a little closer in their spacing and they are actually on the rays...not spaced out.

Your base is great...I like the moss & things you put on it. All in all, you did a good job. How long did it take you?

8. AndyH

AndyH New Member

High Country,
    Nice Job.
    The most obvious thing that hits me is that you need to blend your stripe in better with the white and green.
    Secondly, If I were you, I would give those more detail. Such as scale tipping...
    And I think that you need to use more reference, If you already aren't using alot.
    What were those rainbows painted with? Don't be afraid to try a variety of techinques: airbrush, paint brush, pens, pencils, etc...
    Check out these forums on fish carving: they may help. www.fcunderground.proboards80.com