1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

workin on my coon... (Needs criticism)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by arkfisher, Dec 17, 2007.

1. I read Nina's post about casting for the fox pup. I've been workin on my raccoon that I caught a couple weeks ago. I fleshed the hide and it's been soaking in denatured alcohol for a few days. I ordered the eyes and some clay and I've got the legs casted...I'm going to carve the body tonight and get it ready for mounting this week. I have a nice piece of cedar driftwood that I think will make a nice base. I'm going to have this one climbing up looking back over his shoulder. Just thought I'd share a couple pictures. I'll update as it goes....This is my first coon and my second ever mount. wish me luck!! haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

Re: workin on my coon...

wow you dove in fast with your second mount doing a carcass cast, good luck to you, Russ

3. Well Russ...yeah I guess I jumped in head first. I tend to do that with things. I feel like the mount turned out pretty well...especially since the only instruction that I have has come from this site. I know you guys could tear this thing apart with stuff that needs to be done...I know that the mouth needs work...I need to buy a couple videos or watch someone do that a couple times to get the hang of it. As for the mold...I molded the legs myself, used the original skull (boiled, cleaned, bondo'd), and I carved the body out of a solid piece of foam.

Thanks for the help and comments in advance guys.

-Richard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Dont forget reference, reference & more reference.

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

excellent for first - i believe a coon in this position would have his body against trunk - it would give him more stability - front foot is too far around wood - should be straight down on wood - finger positioning on fron paw is inaccurate

6. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Way to go making your own form so early in your taxidermy career. That is a different pose. My wife happen to see it when I was looking through the post and said the pose looks like a stripper hanging onto a pole......and I laughed, because it does have that "I'm sexy" look on it's face.

7. Deep in my subconscious I may have been thinking about strippers... ??? hahahahah

8. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I think so man......the more I look at it, the more i see it. I told my wife I'd have to take her word for it......I've never been to a strip club...... ;)

9. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

feet are over stuffed.

10. Invest in a proper form until you learn what you are doing. The posture on that coon is crazy. I'm not sure he could stand like that if he tried. Study toe positioning.

11. I did try to find the proper form, but couldn't and no one on here could point me to one...so I did the casting of the legs and carved the body. I repositioned the fingers and worked the clay down in them some I also repositioned the tail and worked on the eyes a little. As I said..this is my first one...so I definately have some progress to make on future mounts. Thanks for a comment guys!

12. John W.

John W. New Member

Your learning,theres a lot of good videos and reference pictures out there on coons I remember my first coon(hes hidden in my back room)but thats how ya learn.:)

13. lol.... thats one sexy stripper in my opinion...... and this one wont run of with your cash

14. Next time I'd order a form in the pose you want and alter.