1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull cap cleaning for whitetail mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by nokes, Dec 19, 2007.

1. nokes

nokes New Member

When preparing a skull cap for mounting, I cut it off the skull and allow it to dry. Then a take the dried material off with a Dremel, down to the bone. I don't like to boil because I don't like to lose the natural material in the antlers, like rub shavings. I then paint the bone with bacteriacide. I know that there is still dried blood in the bone and wonder if this is going to cause me or the mounts any problems in the future? Does anyone else do it this way?

2. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

I just do a light simmer and the rub stuff always stays on the rack ok. Then all the membrane and stuff is off the scull cap and it in my opinion is a lot easer than a dermal.

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Will cause you no problems. Yes, there are hundreds of us that do it the same way.

4. Tenbears

Tenbears New Member

I just clean off excess tissue wile fresh. Then rub a coat of DP on the cap. done deal!

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

nokes i have been doing it that exact way for years

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Ditto. Myr.T had to take a second mortgage out because of his propane bill from boiling skull caps. No chit!

7. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

wont the remaining blood attract bugs?Thats what ive been told.

8. RATTRAP

RATTRAP Don't laugh, deer think my head is an acorn!

I just did a batch w/ the pressure washer as I was fleshing capes. Worked great!

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Look to the left at my avatar ;)
    I just skin it off and boil it until the membrane peels.
    Mike and George make fun of me, but they would no matter what.
    I prefer to give them a reason.

10. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 New Member

Same here!

11. JEJ

JEJ Member

PA
    i boil mine, takes no time. Put it in, let it sit while doing something else, come back and take it out, use knife to scrape off any extras. Just don't forget about it in the boiling water or else!

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You shouldn't beleive everything Mr T tells you. ;D

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who has ever had to worry about the DP being on the cap too long after cutting off the excess meat??? That's what I thought ;).

I mount around a 150 shoulder mounts a year & I dont have time to boil every damn one of them when there is absolutely no reason to!

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I don't do quite that many, closer to 100, but I don't even bother putting DP on them. Scrape them clean and let them dry.

15. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

I do it at a slow boil, I messed one of my earlier deer up with a fast and furious boil. I like the method. And it doesnt take me long. I remember only a couple of years ago sitting on my front porch scraping skulls with a scapel. What a %&$&$###

16. JEJ

JEJ Member

PA
    Wow, first time being "quoted" by Michael P., now i feel officially part of taxidermy.net!!!!!!!!!
    Even though it takes me no longer to boil my skulls than it does to clean with a scapel and DP. I'm sure all methods work, to each his own. I've boiled skull plates since i was youngin' to display my "trophies", so that has carried over here. What i am used too.

17. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Times two.
    Been there, still doin' that.

18. bw

bw New Member

We all argued and cussed eachother a couple months ago about this topic. You can probably find several pages of interesting reading on it by using the search option.

By the way. I have always cleaned the meat off, let it dry and then burn the remaining tissue with a torch before mounting. However, I am starting a colony of dermestid beetles and was considering dropping them in there after they are skinned out and excess meat cut off. If I let them eat everything there is to eat....there would be nothing left to attract them later.

19. batshouse

batshouse New Member

nokes,
    listen up my man if ur worried about blood and other fluids after cutting the skull cap do what i do. trim the meat off then salt it down. pulls out all the fluids and drys the cap down ultra fast for quick mounting. salt also inhibits bacteria growth.
    Bat