1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Face Fleshing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JCook, Dec 19, 2007.

1. JCook

JCook New Member

I've only done a handful of deer mounts and it takes me what seems like forever to flesh the face by hand. How can I speed up this process? I've considered everything from the Dakota IV to a hand flesher etc. Any suggestions?

2. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

Practice Practice Practice. Soon it will just go faster.

3. northflorida

northflorida New Member

Presser washer is not to bad. It just takes time to dry.

4. Aaron H

Aaron H foxfiretaxidermy.com

J,
    I've been doing this for years and it still takes a good bit of time to do a good job on the face of a deer. Hurry too much and you sew. Taxidermy just isn't fast, I figure. Enjoy, Aaron H.

5. dwstex38

dwstex38 New Member

Get you a fleshing ball, makes it alot easier and faster.I actually use a light bulb with a surface mount bulb holder.Cheap and you can get it at hardware store.

6. jkidd

jkidd New Member

I use a fleshing ball and a skife knife. I've also heard that the fat end of a wooden baseball bat works good. Just stretch the face over the fleshing ball and thin it down with the knife. It does take practice and you should take your time until you get the hang of it, but the skife knife works good for me.

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I use my fleshing machine for the large areas and around the part that goes around the antler bur.. The eyes and nose I do using a hammer handle that I sanded down, I use a scalple I never could get that dang skife knife to work for me...

8. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

bench grinder or fleshing machine - i can flesh the entire face including lips with fleshing machine but i dont have the patience to work slow enuf - i do just about all from eyes forward with bench grinder grinding wheel - akk mjammals down to marten this way

9. JCook

JCook New Member

Thanks for the input. I've tried a knife, scissors, rasor blade, skife knife, exacto knife and have probably had the most success with a Dremel tool with a small sanding wheel, but it still takes a long, long time.

Nowadays it seems that we expect everything to happen real fast, but we don't realize that sometimes good things take time. I guess I'm no different.

I haven't done a great job on those I've done but I'd like to even have the small bucks family members shoot mounted, but paying to have them all done seems unreasonable. It was also fun to see the deer come back to life when I put the hide on the form.

I have one in the freezer but the hours it takes me to get the face ready hinders me from doing it. The nose and lip areas are the most frustrating to me.

Thanks again.

10. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

i just use my fleshing machine...
    turn the blade down do it doesn't take as big a bite...i wear kevlar gloves and i use my fingers under the hide as a guide and just take little strokes...make sure and wear the gloves though or you may be taking off more than hide.
    I can flesh all the way around the eyes, the nose and the lips like this.

11. I have a small fleshing beam made of 1 inch thick oak, about 8 inches wide and tapered of course. that and a skife knife take about 30 mintues to do it right.

12. I do the same thing as Justin. When it comes time to do the eyes just put a fleshing ball in the end of the pvc pipe. also, I use a skife to do the detail fleshing around the face. One of these days I will break down and buy a Dakota flesher.

13. Mark in IL

Mark in IL New Member

HI,

I do as much as I can on the face with the big wheel flesher including the lips and the some of the nose pad. Then I do what Terry says, I finish the face on the wire wheel on the bench grinder. It gives you great control (in my opinion - much more than any type of blade). I also have a "regulator" type dial thingy rigged up so I can control the speed of the wire wheel. I can speed it up or slow it down depending on the areas I am working on. If you try the wheel on the face, I can almost guarantee you will like it. Oh - the wire wheel also make fleshing thinned skinned animals like coyotes a lot easier too.

Mark