1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making a customer catalog and charging for supplies

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Xiahou, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

2 parter -

How do you make a catalog for customers to show them whats available for forms, poses, plaques, panels etc. Without them knowing what you pay for supplies. 2nd part - do most taxidermists charge catalog prices for materials. One catalog (not to start a debate on who is better) I think it was Tasco last years mentions on the premade habitat page how you could charge retail while paying whole sale on a premade habitat.

2. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

i let customers look at catalog pictures of poses. I dont care if they see the prices or not. The cost is built into the price of the finished product, so why would anyone care about the cost of the supplies you use. The customer is paying for your expertise, not just for cost of materials.
    If someone squawked about the price, id just invite him to go elsewhere.

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i agree with bill

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm with Bill. I encourage them to look in the catalog and I explain to them that I can do anything they want but the base price is on the form that fits their animal. They want a diorama, it's extra. If I have to take a sitting fox and have him licking his balls, then they're going to pay extra for it unless I'm in a very generous mood. I don't remember the last time I was in one of those moods.

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Probably the last time you were flexible enough to lick....nevermind.

6. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

George have you had much call for that modification on the fox. I agree let them see the prices. I make my own plaques and I carve animals on the bottom of them. I sell them for $70.00 take home and $75.00 on the mount. There is time involved installing the plaque just like there time involved making the mount.
    Ralph

7. i just let them look at the book , if you made a catalog , they would want something you didn't put in there and would have to drag out the book anyway. and besides that , that would take forever to do and i don't have the time to anyway.

just my opinon.

8. RTF

RTF Active Member

Bill said it all. I could care less what they see.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

rbear, thankfully no, not that many. Foxes seem to come in a variety of sizes enough that it's not necessary any more from what it once was. Most modifications to them tend to be in matching their pose to the specific diorama needs.

10. zubba

zubba Active Member

That is hilarious!!! ;D ;D ;D

11. bradc

bradc New Member

i had a guy i knew want me to do a 400+ dressed weight black bear, i let him take home my mckenzie book so he could see why i dont charge a flat price on bear, that way he could see that the form alone can have a 200$ difference on a large bear, when he came back he was completely satisfied

12. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

So is:

lol...sicko's...lmao

13. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    ha, i could see a guy wanting to see what pose he wants you give him the caqtalog, he's looking throught it and sees ahh here i can but a $20 video and do it myself, why should i pay $500. lol.

but i dont care i just show them the catalog of poses and yeah their is pricing listed, sometimes they get carried away and start looking through the whole damn thing though, so i have to maybe figure something out in the future.

14. Xiahou

that already happened to me with a European mount. (why I made this post) He saw the panel prices and the kit in the back and said "maybe I'll just do it myself" :mad: I told him he doesn't have beetles and etc but nope he went and did it anyway. Haven't heard how it 'turned out' yet. Hopefully overboiled ;)

15. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

Those are the customers that I don't want anyhow. I let them all look and if they are interested in learning, I'll let them sit in and watch. I don't really have anything to worry about, heck most guys around here pay to learn from schools and never stay in it for 2 years.

16. Maybe you could seperate a catalog into sections. Like, tear out the whitetail section, put that in a binder, bears in another binder, etc. That way you can just pull out the binder for the animal they have and let them look through it, as opposed to them wanting to sit there for 2 hours looking through the whole book saying "hey that's neat..."

Just throwing out an idea I guess.

17. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

As far As shoulder mounts go I just use the poster the suppliers send. I have no problem showing them the catalog either. They usually tell me what they want and I pick the form closest to the pose they choose. Never had a problem. I never get a client willing to pay the extra money for a custom pose anyhow.

Todd B

18. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Guess I don't spend enough.
    How do I get one of those posters?

19. B.S.

B.S. New Member

livbucks - Just ask for the posters the next order you make . They'll throw some in with your order .

20. Xiahou

kind of what I was thinking of doing