1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanning with krowtann - using fleshing machine & bench grinder

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by oldterryr, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

Terry,

Just wanted to offer you a BIG THANK YOU for writing all of this out. I planned on following the directions to the "T" anyway, but reading your post back in December reassured me that I would probably be ok if things werent perfect.

When I began working on my first mount just a month or so back, it was the first hide I ever prepped and was not pretty when I was through mangling it....

I had no instructions on how to properly split lips, turn ears, etc....So It was "rough" to say the least. After reading several of your posts, this one especially, I realized I had nothing to lose by trying to tan it in my Krowtann and felt confident that it might actually work.

To my pleasure, it did work out, the cape tanned nicely and I was able to shave the whole thing down with a bench grinder and mount it.

My second attempt at taxidermy is soaking in a batch of Krowtann as I type this. I did a much better job of prepping this one before hand, so I am pretty confident it will turn out just as good as the first cape. Its for a friend, so hopefully the finished product turns out much better too. :)

Thanks again Terry!!!

---Matt

2. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

good going oak leaf

terryr DKDAMOATIKAE (default krowtann defender and master of all that is known about everything

3. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Tttttttthhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkk YYYYYYooooooouuuuuu for the info. I have been to classes, done a few critters, and learned that everyone has their own way. This particular topic was emensely helpful to me as I also intend to do my own tanning- controlling and eliminating variables for trouble and hide losses. I have seen many other posts you have left on other subjects as well & you & you others have been a huge help to me. Thank you (bowing with hands waving overhead).

4. KROWTAN IS A WONDERFUL PRODUCT FOR CLEARING YOUR SINUSIS AND BURNING YOUR SKIN, I LOVE THE STUFF

5. oldterryr

.............also great for a hemorrhoid cream mixed with stop rot at a 72/28 ratio - thicken with bicarbonate of soda

6. Terry have you ever tried EZ100? I bet you would give all your KT to Michael if you ever tried it.

7. oldterryr

i have tried liqua tan and use it once in awhile for different reasons i havent switched - too much timing

darrell - why not do one how to on using ez100 - step by step

8. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Is this good for greasy critters (coon, bear, etc)?

9. Amy did already and she nailed it.

10. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

pickleing acid realxing blah blah ;) - seem like for a begineer let alone seasoned vet this one seems eaiser. This issue from everything Ive read is definetly to each his own. Some won't change some can't some will some do and come back - that seems to be able to be said for just about any new taxidermy product or procedure.

11. Its kind of a hidden joke on here about me and Krowtan Riverdale. I dont like the product but it works for others so be it. I posted a comparison test on here a while back and did two capes one with each and followed the directions to a "T" and my way proved better results.

Sorry Terry but you know I like to hijack KT posts lol.

12. oldterryr

darrell you posted a side by side test - how about giving exact instructions bout how you use ez

13. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

there might be 31 steps but it was broken down the actual time factor is not that long on a Krowtan cpae

14. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

ttt...because at least this one doesn't have messed up pictures. ;) Good seeing Terry's name again too. I miss him. <sigh>

15. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

oldterryr, I like what you posted and will try it.

16. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Terryr had some great posts and would share his knowledge freely. He passed away not to long after this post. RIP Terry R

17. bassman9178

bassman9178 New Member

I have been using a wire wheel for a few years now. I use the fleshing machine for everything except the eyes nose and lips. some southern taxidermist say they like there capes smooth, the wire wheel leaves the cape a little rough. my thought is, you scuff sand a form to mount. why not the cape ? I think you would get a better bond.

18. clschake

clschake New Member

I enjoy many of these old posts and wonder if there is a way to save them for future reference?