1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ear drumming

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kycooner, Dec 20, 2007.

1. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

got a deer i done today,,noticed this evening,when i went back to check on it ,1 ear is drumming,i used bondo,and never till now had this happen to me.
    my question is,,what type of glue should i use to inject in the ear,,this is the only way i got to fix it.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm glad I'm not the type who'd say this, but if I was that type, now would be the time to say "I TOLD YOU SO!"

Call WASCO or Newton Supply (1-800-888-2467) and buy a small container of INJECTABLE epoxy. Place a damp cloth in the ear overnight, inject , and hold down until you can feel it warm up.

3. Ed Chambers

Ed Chambers New Member

You've been waiting for this one haven't you George?

4. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

any thing i can buy local,,like at wally world

5. George

You can buy 5 minute epoxy and slice the ear open after it's wetted. Paint the epoxy inside and then gently push the skin down back in alignment. Then hold the skin down with cotton balls until it cures. Any leakage will pick up the cotton fibers and hide your initial screw up. That's why injectable is so much better.

BTW, stop using Bondo before I have to say I TOLD YOU SO.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Must not have cleaned the oil out the ear. It was a wet tanned cape i'm assuming???

7. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

john rinehart tanning creme

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

OH!! No wonder, that cheap crap!! ;D ;D ;D (sorry, I don't know nothing about the stuff, i'm just trying to make grandpa see red ;) ;D )

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Bondo sucks, it looks best on fenders.

10. George

Michael, go find your brother Darrell. Where is he anyway. He's been too quet.

11. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

hes on a plane on his way up to see his daddy, err i mean you george ;D

12. John W.

John W. New Member

You either didn't clean the oil off the ears or you started the bondo process with the ear too wet.I appreciate George's wisdom but this is one of the subjects I do disagree with him,you can produce fantastic ears nice and sharp but it does take some practice. :)

13. George

John, I do know that good ears can be done with Bondo. I know Ken Walker uses it. But I (and most of us) am not Ken Walker. I need every break I can get. Epoxy will bond through water and that's an advantage I always need.

14. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

yea its my fault,,i didn't wipe the ears down good before i bondoed them,,trying to get a lot done before the holidays,,trying to put a deer together,,flesh another one,,cook a country ham,,,and my furnace quit and that was on my mind all day,,what do they say,,too many irons in the fire.
    I'm gonna let this sit till wednesday and try to epoxy the ear.Thanks for the suggestions.