1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

One hour tan???

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Mike Powell, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever used the "One Hour Tan" sold by A_______ Taxidermy Supply? I did a search and couldn't find anything on it here on taxi.net. I've been using Krowtan, but was considering using the tanning creme recommended by George (seems just as easy and cheaper) and then I ran across an ad for this product that says it completely tans a hide in one hour. Sounds interesting enough. Any advice or experience on/with this product would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

MLP

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

MLP, did you ever hear of the Kansas farmer who went to the circus. The carney was hawking him to come in and see a giraffe for a quarter. The farmer refused but stood there looking at the picture. Since no one was taking, the carney told him he'd let him go in for a dime. Still the farmer refused. Finally the carney said, "Man I gotta feed that thing. Give me a nickel and go look." The farmer fished deep into his pocket and dug out a nickel and went inside.

Within a minute he was back and this time he demanded to get his nickel back. The carney was shocked and said, "Why on earth should I give you your nickel back."

In that dry Kansas voice came, "Cause there juss ain't no damned such animal."

The moral of this story MLP is that anyone who implies that you can tan a hide in an hour needs to give you your nickel back. There juss ain't no damned such animal.

3. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

George, you remind me so much of my father in law. Too funny! And he was a lot older than you.

4. Mike Powell

I had my doubts, but I couldn't find any info so I just had to ask. Great illustration, I think I'll use that in a sermon sometime, with your permission of course. Thanks for the input and have a Merry Christmas!

MLP

5. George

Wasn't my sermon MLP. I borrowed it from someone else too.

6. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

george - i pride myself on never having an original idea (or any hair)

7. The One Hour Tan is sold by Authentic Taxidermy Supply. I have been using it for nearly 10 years for my small mammals like bobcat, fox, up to coyote. It seems to do a pretty good job and I had never had a problem with any mount even years later. My oldest mount done using the one hour tan is now 8 years old. It's that bobcat on my website that won a second at TX state in 2001 and a second at Nationals in 2002. Would I use the One Hour Tan on deer and bigger game? No, as I send all those hides off to a tannery. But on the thin skinned small mammals I say it does a great job.

And George before you jump on me, I never said it was a "true tan". I personally think the krowtan and the tanning creme are not much different either.

8. George

Evelyn, you did OK till you got to that last sentence. Your "One Hour Tan" is nothing more than either DP, dissolved DP, or just denatured alcohol in a can. Krotann, for all the grief it gives me is the old "pickle tan" of years gone by with some extra's thrown in. Both JRTS and LiquiTan are actually true "tans" (As Glen reminds people, no one actually ever came up with a good definition of a "true tan".) Nevertheless, they CAN be used with a pickle and they DO absorb into the skin which can be proven simply by slicing the skin and seeing the penetration. They are only APPLIED topically. DP stays on the surface and acts as an astringent. Tans are absorbed.

9. Mike Powell

Apart from mounts, I also do an occasional tan of a coyote or bobcat which I oil and tumble to get a soft leather pelt to hang on a wall or something. I've had pretty good success with Krowtan but were I to try another product I would hope to have as good or better results for making a soft, pliable leather. The ad for the One Hour tan says it turns a green, fleshed hide into "leather". So my question for Evelyn would be, in your experience, would the product work for making leather pelts? For George, does the JRTS work for the same (making leather pelts)?

And thanks George for your explanation. I do understand what you are describing as to the differences in these "tans". I just want to hear a little more input from the experiential aspect. And some of my best sermon ideas come from others -and now that I think about, I've gotten quite a few off this forum.

Mike (MLP)

10. George

Mike, both LiquiTan and JRTS advertise that their tans make good flat hides. I just don't trust them and that has absolutely NO scientific backing. I KNOW that in order for a hide to be soft and supple, it requires "breaking" I don't have a large enough tumbler nor the back to do it manually, so I send them out to professionals. IF, I were to try with JRTS, I do know that I'd use the optional pickle steps before I tanned it.

11. msc

msc New Member

Tn
    There is some archives in the old forums
    there was a demo at a breakthrough convention from what i read
    I have never used it but authentic taxidermy James Edgar still sells it in his catalog
    his shop is here in town and I talked to himonce about it and showed me hides that looked good after being tanned with it
    I also asked about soft tanning with it and he sells an oil and slightly different tan for that but it is a one hour tan also
    I was told he worked with alot of chemist to create it
    But I am a skeptic of not salting and pickling with any tanning method chosen

12. Mike Powell

Thanks all for your insights. I think I will give the JRTS a try on a soft tan and will post the results. I sincerely hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a prosperous and blessed new year in 2008.

Mike

13. John W.

John W. New Member

George is correct on the tans.I have tanned bears for throw pieces with Liqua-tan that are just as soft as the ones I tanned with Lutan-f and EZ100 but like he said it takes work to break them to get them critters soft. ;D