1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whether to mount or not?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by monbuck8, Dec 21, 2007.

1. shot a very nice coyote today and am really contemplating skinning it and trying to mount it. The only life-size animals i have ever done were squirrels. I am solely a fish and bird taxidermist. Let me know what you think i should do? Here is a pic of it, isn't the greatest, but that is all my cell will do. [​IMG] It looks very light in color, but it was a medium colored yote, not dark, but not light like the photo shows.

2. mark1970

mark1970 If it looks good and its got a big rack,mount it!

looks like a nice yote to me. I like mounting on Jan VanHuesen forms for coyotes.. WASCO has them and they produce the best yote IMO. I say mount him.

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

coyotes are the easiest of the medium mammals to do - pick the form that fits your measurements - mckenzie sells a ton of different ones - jvh forms are nothing special just part of the pack that includes a lot of good ones

4. As i may have mentioned in my last post, i have not done one of these before. Does it matter that it was shot with a shotgun, with bird shot? If anyone can help me find info on mounting a coyote, i would be truly greatful. I have a lot of info in my taxidermy shop on mounting life size animals, but if there is any more info out there i could find useful, i would love to hear about it. Thanks.

5. I would mount it. What do you have to loose? At very least you will get a great learning experience from it. Get a video and follow along.
    Travis

6. John_NY

John_NY Northern N.Y.

I'd mount him up. Looks like a nice yote to me.

[​IMG]

7. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

You never know until you try!
    I would have to say, give it a shot.

Mike

8. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

Shooting them with a shotgun at 25 or 30 yards is the way to go, at least for me. I've blown them up with rifles sometimes. I'd mount him up.

9. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

http://tdavistaxidermy.com/mountacoyote1a.html

this will help you with head

10. it would make a nice rug.... :)

11. I say mount it if you don't like the way it turns out sell it and shoot another one. You got nothing to loose and only experience to gain.

12. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

a life size is a lifesize, regardless of species, you have to skin them all, flesh them all, preserve the hide , so on and so forth, so i say mount it, it will be a learning process, and as the post before me said, you got nothing to lose and much to gain, Russ