1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

time fleshing

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by teener, Dec 23, 2007.

1. teener

teener Guest

On avereage how long does it take some of you to flesh a deer cape. Also do you like your wheel to be chest or waist high? it seems like it is taking me a long time to flesh and my back kills me when i am done thanks for the input

2. It takes me about 45 min to turn split and flesh eyes, lips, nose ,and ears by hand on small beam and a knife.Then about twenty minutes on the machine a Dakota 5. As far as how it is set up the belt guard hits me smack in the chest and it kills my back right between the shoulder blades. once all the fleshing is done in to the pressure tanner it goes.

3. John W.

John W. New Member

I built my own table and made it so my machine is chest high that really saves a lot on the back.Total shaving time for me is right around 3 hours thats rough fleshing,final fleshing.I hand flesh the face with a "birds beak" knife that you can get from Mckenzie,thats where I spend the most time, spliting the eyelids and shaving the face down to the bulbs.;DBut also added into the time frame is the 45 minutes skinning the head and turning everything.

4. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

roughly 2 1/2 hrs from skinning to into krowtann

5. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Okay, after 37 years it takes me 10 minutes to skin a deer head.
    20 minutes to turn eyes nose and lips, I turn my ears AS I skin the head out so it's done when I have it off skull. 15 minutes on my rawhide machine then to salt.

Total time from deer head in door to salt, 45 minutes.

My rawhide has a built in seat the wheel housing fits right into my shoulder like my favorite shotgun stock. Have a holder for my Mountain dew nearby! I couldn't run a fleshing machine standing up, I don't know how you guys can do it. I sit on my butt and relax....

6. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

* - thats fast

7. Boy that is Fast!

8. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

You should make a video of this I would love to see how you turn your ears as you skin the head and do it that fast!

9. jcompton

jcompton “One of these days Alice. Pow!Right in the kisser"

Thats how I turn the ears also, sure makes it alot easier.

10. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

it takes me aprox 1 hour , to skin the head , open the lips , flip the ears , nose , and ears , remove mostly large thick pieces of meat or fat , in the pickle with alum in the pickle , submerge stir , do not touch or stir for 24 hours ,
    drain , flesh it ALL OFF on my raw hide in aprox 10 minutes , if it is still not completely pickled , back in the pickle , 24 hours later , remove from pickle , drain , neutralize , wash in laundry detergent , rinse , EZ-100

11. timberliner

timberliner New Member

I fleshed and turned a Colorado Buffallo yesterday, it took 6 hours. There was eneough meat on it to feed a couple families in ethiopia for a month. What a waste!