1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Duck Mounting question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by aldfaa, Dec 25, 2007.

1. aldfaa

aldfaa New Member

I am a complete noob at this, I would like to try and Mount my first duck, a Mallard. I have watched the Dennis Rinehart mounting video, and the Newmyer Habitat book.
    I would like to mount the duck on a wood panel in a marsh scene. What product(s) are best used to replicate the dirt that the duck will be standing in? I would image there are various ways do do this. What would be the simplest product to use? Do you anchor the bird into the faux dirt or should the bird be anchored directly into the wood base?

2. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

You would attatch the duck to the base, through the scenery. You may try potting soil, mixed with elmers glue. This works well for me.

3. Peat moss and elmers works good also.

4. jward

jward First with a bow

Here is the best thing to get that natural dirt look. Use real dirt! If you take and use some wire mesh or something to sieve the big stuff out. If you can get something that is 1/4" or smaller to sieve over you will get the best results. Anyway you take the dried out dirt and mix it with a Elmers Glue and water mixture (50/50). Mix that all together and then you can spread it all around like a paste right on to your board and let it dry. Will dry hard and solid and look amazing. You will get some high and low spots that will help you. If you take some clear resin or other water making material and put in some of these low spots it really gives it a nice touch. I have a picture of one that I am working on right now if you wanted to see it. I lightly sprayed a little black paint on it to get a darker soil. I only had light brown soil for this test run. Hope this helped.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I put crumbled peat moss in a flour sifter, then sift it over the Elmers glue/water mixture that has been brushed on the base. This creates a very uniform soil medium to build on.

6. aldfaa

aldfaa New Member

Thanks for the replies. I started thinking that since this is my first attempt, I might me better off to just mount it to a plain wood base and not even worry about any habitat. I don't want to overly complicate things.

7. jward

jward First with a bow

The dirt and glue thing is really easy, but its always better to go with what you are comfortable.

8. Mix 1 part Elmers glue and 3 parts water in a spray bottle. If it isnt spraying well use a little more water. Get yourself a bag a Peat Moss spread it on your base spray it with the mixture let dry and spray again until you get the right hardness. The duck needs to be anchored to the wood. Not real hard dont get discuraged just try it.

Steve