1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird fleshing and white gas

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jward, Dec 26, 2007.

1. jward

jward First with a bow

I was reading in the archives and seen that one guy fleshed, soaked in degreaser, washed in dawn and then submerge in white gas. What do you guys think about the gas thing and how do you get that smell out of the feathers. I did a mallard with the degreaser from WASCO and it looks like the feathers are a little darker. Did I not get all of the degreaser out or is it my eyes? There is no smell to the mount (degreaser smell). There isn't a black and white type of change, but a slight color change I think. Ok last question on this. I was going to make a fleshing machine and wanted to know what size and speed of motor you guys suggest to use and do you think I should put a variable speed control on the unit. Thanks

2. ar delta

ar delta New Member

i soak mine in white gas. the only reason that i do this is to get the water out of the feathers. the gas pushes the water out. this helps the feathers to dry quicker.

3. fesekula

fesekula Active Member

A many a shop have burned down from using gas to degrease. A very dangerous practice that is not worth the health and fire risk.

4. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I used white gas on every bird I mounted for a long time. Every post that came up like this always gets into a talk about the explosive gas in your shop and the fumes. That bird becomes a fire hazard quick. Anyway I tried not using it on a couple of turkeys. Just skiped that step and IMO I cant tell any difference. I skin flesh degrease in dawn soap and wash and rinse the heck out of it. Then tumble and mount and blow dry.

5. topnotch

topnotch Member

i use it.

6. jorgy

jorgy Member

Mineral spirits works well and won't burn your shop down

7. I use it and love it they dry in minutes. Just use your head.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I was rinsing birds in laquer thinner...I gave that up for three reasons...safety, health, and economics.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

Gas is not worth the risks, I used to use it but found it doesn't take that long to dry waterfowl. I dry mine in about 15 min. with a commercial dryer, and no gas fumes in the shop. Gas does nothing but push water from the feathers, it does not degrease birds.

10. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Try it with out it. It doesnt make that much difference. I always said the same thing when these discusions came up but then I tried it, now I dont use it. It does more damage to the skin than you think also.

11. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

As far as white gas i won't use it not worth the risk i do same as Holmes as far as the flesher here is a link to that topic touched on a couple of weeks ago. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,8361.0.html

12. Do you want to bet on this?

Ok I use gas, forget the white gas, just use pump gas 87 oct.

Here is what most people do that use gas.

Wash the bird in warm water and lots of Dawn, its cheap!!

Rinse, rinse, rinse until the the water runs totally clear.

Allow to drain for about 30 minutes, then a quick dunk is gas OUSIDE and allow this to drain out side

Tumble or blow dry.

13. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

if you are going to tumble and blow dry what is the sense of putting in gas? also i live in northen WI. it gets extremely cold out here so going out side to dunk in gas does not make sense to me.

14. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

John I know youve done taxidermy for along time. Have you tried it without gas? Do you really think it makes much difference in the final product? I dont really. Ive talked with several turkey people including Drake Morris. He told me they dont use it anymore either. I had his pm about this but deleted it only a couple of days ago. They wholesale alot of turkeys yearly and told me it damages the skin.

15. Because it will blow dry in about five minutes and fluff the feathers in the process. I use almost the same process as John C described and its works great for me. Never had any damage to the skin. But I dont soak it in the gas either just a quick dunk maybe 10 seconds.

16. Mike108

Mike108 Guest

I used gas once while on the eastern shore, the reason I did that was because I wasn't at my shop next to the cob and tumbler. I will say the goose did dry quickly but after using it I'd rather stick with the cob and tumbler. If you only have access to the gas and not a tumbler just use your head while doing it, if you have a tumbler I'd stick with that. JMO

17. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Have you ever mounted a turkey with out diping it in gas?

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

First 15 minutes, now 5? What the he11 am I doing wrong? I've used gas on several occasions, ducks, turkeys, etc. NEVER have I had a bird completely dry in 15 minutes. I've used shop vacs, pet driers, hair driers, you name it. I would say after soaking in gas it still takes me at least 45 minutes to dry an Eastern Wild Turkey.

19. I use it to make sure the down gets dry. I dont think it harms the skin in anyway. When I have not used gas I have had trouble with the down drying enough and fluffing up. on turkey it will not make a lot of difference.

I do tumble the birds in either hardwood sawdust or chips and sometimes cob. but here cob tends to mold.

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

When this site opened, more than half the taxidermists claim that gas was the ONLY way to clean birds. Now I can only assume that either they've all emulated themselves with stupidity or have seen the error in their ways and changed to Dawn or some of the other good soaps made for this process.

Those of you who are using gas, kindly tell me exactly what the gas is doing that soap won't do better. Gas DISSOLVES residual grease, but leaves its residue on your feathers. So it's not a good product for degreasing.

If you're using it to displace water, what were you using the water for. If you washed the feathers with soap, then displacing that water to save a few ounces of corncob grit is a sad trade off to the residual smell of gas or mineral spirits left in the feathers. I love "odorless" mineral spirits as obviously one of us doesn't understand "odorless".

If your using it as a complete wash, it's not going to move blood and will more than likely lock the blood into the feathers if anything.

I just did a turkey yesterday. It was defatted on the wheel and then washed twice with Bloodout/Degreaser from Epo-Grip. It was put in the old washer and spin dried. Then it was taken outside and shop air blew the remaining water out of the down feathers. THEN it was put in the tumbler for 30 minutes, shaken, taken outside to blow the corncob grit out of the feathers and then mounted. I never once had to worry about breathing fumes, setting the shop on fire or creating dermatitus with skin contact of the gas. Best of all, the skin and feathers are CLEAN with no petroleum residue and the bird SMELLS clean.