1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird fleshing and white gas

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jward, Dec 26, 2007.

1. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I used to argue with you about it George but I finally tried it and not much difference except I didnt breath the fumes.

2. jward

jward First with a bow

George
    Ok, i can see there is a on going argument with the white gas. What is your thinking on stuff like polytranspar degreaser and True-Tan skin prep? If you use the dawn detergent do I really need the True-Tan or the degreasing agent. Thanks

3. Yes, I have mounted quite a few turkeys without using gas. I just mounted a woodduck and it took about 5 minuted to blow it dry after displacing the water using the gas. I dont degrease or clean my bird with gas. But I choose not to tumbler my bird. My choice, dont like shaking out corn cob grit. Again as I have stated before there are many ways to do alot of things and some of us still use gas to displace the water. As long as you use your head there should not be a problem.

Steve

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

More gimmicks IN MY OPINION. Defat on a wheel, wash in SOAP solution, rinse, squeeze dry, tumble, treat skin with dry preservative (borax will do but I like something finer like DP) and then mount. I've never heard of tanning a bird skin other than emu and ostrich (they don't really fit my idea of a BIRD), Many products advertise that they are "degreasers". Kerosene is a good one as is gas if you're working on cars. BUT this type type "degreaser" is meant for washing of GREASE as in GUNK from bearings and other machined parts. It's not obliterating the grease molecules, simply dissolving them and washing them into a grease trap. Bird DEGREASERS don't have that luxury. The grease needs to be ELIMINATED, not dissolved, washed around and then diluted enough to stick back on the skin and feathers. Taxidermists use the term "degreaser" without understanding the chemistry involved in the true process. When all else fails, LOOK AT THE CHEMISTRY. It won't lie to you or give you false hopes.

sdoomed, you seem to be under the fantasized notion that common sense is common. Sorry, ain't happening. If you had washed your wood duck, spinned it dry in an old washer, and then used a good bird blower on it, you could have "displaced" the water quite well without a mentality check.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Cole, you need a better dryer. I don't use gas and I can dry my turkeys in 30 min without tumbling and cleaning grit out of the feathers for six weeks. Waterfowl and smaller upland birds, 15 min tops. The key is a good commercial dryer. I flesh, wash, drip, towel dry, and blow dry.

6. jward

jward First with a bow

Thanks to everyone here for your insight, it is really helpful. George you actually use an old washing machine, that is a pretty good idea. Just put it on spin cycle and let it go huh. When you say a bird blower, would a hair drier work or is the"bird blower" more power. Thanks again

7. George

I find hair driers to be much hotter with less volume on most of them. The bird blowers are high volume and usually the only heat is that produced by the motor itself. A good hair drier will work fine, however.

8. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Hard to burn down the shop when they are out on the driveway in the gas pan. ;)

9. jward

jward First with a bow

Thanks george. I have been using a hair drier on the cool setting. I guess the bird blower would be a good investment.

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Not that big of a difference between 30 and 45, I was referring to the ducks and turkeys sdoomed was drying in 5 minutes. I don't use a tumbler, maybe he does? No way I can dry a bird in 5 min.

11. George

Cole, it takes me 5 minutes to just squeeze the water out of a bird skin the size of a pheasant, so I know I"m not in that ball park for drying one either.